Question System Image backup

Feb 18, 2019
Do I need to reactivate Windows 10 after reinstalling again using system image backup that I have taken previously from the same system?.

I used to get a system image backup every system that I install Windows OS and Microsoft Office. Now I need to format and re-Install windows in the same system. And I cannot find the License details. In this case, Will windows system image backup will help me??

Thanks!

If windows was activated before and you reinstall same windows version (home/pro), then reactivation is not necessary. You skip step, where license key is asked, and windows activates automatically, when you connect to internet.

Restoring from System image is similar to cloning. It restores whole drive to state, when system image was taken. You'll have to reinstall all the windows updates, that were released after system image was created.

D

Deleted member 14196

Either move whole disk to new drive or just copy your data. You can’t move installed programs and expect a new os to be able to use them

A system image contains everything on your hard drive, including the Windows system files and your installed programs. So, it will replace the newly fresh install of Windows with a clone of the previous installed Windows, with all the changes and installed programs. If you want a fresh install of windows, using a system image is not the correct tool. However, a fresh/ clean install of windows will also necessitate you reinstall all your programs and personal files. You can use Windows File History to copy all your personal files, and it will load them into a fresh install of Windows, but again you will need to reinstall all your previously installed programs.

Edit. BTW, there is no reason to do a fresh install to load your system image. You can use your install media to boot to the recovery mode (WinPE) which will give you the option to recover using your System Image.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS