Question System Image Backup

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
When choosing system image as a backup option in Windows, does the backup only save what's on the drive at that particular moment in time? Meaning, that if 2 minutes after it finishes backing up, I change a file or do whatever, and I want to backup that change as well, I need to do another system image backup manually?

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Yes and yes.

Is there a specific reason you're using Windows itself to create backups when it does such a poor job of it and there are plenty of free options out there like Macrium reflect that allow you to create incremental backups both manually and automatically in addition to creating single instance full backups including only those partitions you wish to include?

Reactions: nbartolo7
Creating a system image backup is useful if you don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling the OS, the applications you run, and how everything is set up. I don't really think it's useful as a general backup method because it'll contain a lot of things that you probably didn't need.

But if you subscribe to the "copy it anyway just in case" mindset, then I won't stop you.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
As referenced in your other thread...Macrium Reflect.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
As referenced in your other thread...Macrium Reflect.
Yes. I just wanted to check that Macrium and other options were not addons to the Windows option but rather alternatives. I finally got it.

Wait a second people, if recovery drives are not supposed to be backups, then why is this bozo trying to restore from a system image with a recovery drive?
What's a "recovery drive"?

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it looks to me like that guy is making a system backup and then restoring it via the outdated and "deprecated" tool built into Windows.

"System images" are backups as that term is typically used.

If you make a system image with Macrium and store that image file on Drive E, would you call drive E a "recovery drive"? I suppose you could. What's in a name?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
What's a "recovery drive"?

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it looks to me like that guy is making a system backup and then restoring it via the outdated and "deprecated" tool built into Windows.

"System images" are backups as that term is typically used.

If you make a system image with Macrium and store that image file on Drive E, would you call drive E a "recovery drive"? I suppose you could. What's in a name?
A recovery drive is purely for repairing or restoring Windows to its original state, it's not a backup solution. The recovery drive isn't a system image. It doesn't contain your personal files, settings, or programs. And yet that bozo is using it as if it was a system image and telling people that they will recover their personal files.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
A recovery drive is purely for repairing or restoring Windows to its original state, it's not a backup solution. The recovery drive isn't a system image. It doesn't contain your personal files, settings, or programs. And yet that bozo is using it as if it was a system image and telling people that they will recover their personal files.
People make incorrect or misleading uTube vids all the time.
Anything to get the clicks.

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
And a "recovery drive" certainly CAN be used for recovery of everything, as with a backup image, it's simply a matter of what you include in the image.

Any FYI, let's refrain from calling people "bozos" here. Regardless that it's not somebody in the thread, and regardless that they might actually be one, it's unnecessary and I've been sanctioned for saying less than that as a past moderator, you certainly don't want to be doing it as a regular member. Derogatory or insulting language toward others, whether they are in the same thread or elsewhere, is a violation of the forum guidelines. Just so you are aware.

ASK THE COMMUNITY