System Image Creation.

IndigoDivide

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Hiya guys I attempted to make a system restore image for a couple of hours now I command prompted its creation and it has been on the "Writing Image" stage for about two hours and hasn't moved past 1% any reason for this?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Unless I'm not following you...
Normally, you want to make a system image to some external media like a USB HDD or a stack of DVDs or a huge USB flash drive. That way if your system permanently crashes, the HDD gets a virus, the HDD fails, etc.... you can use the System Restore Disk the pgm will eventually ask you to make and the media you saved the image to... to restore your system to the way it was when you made the image.
Saving the image to the same drive that may fail isn't wise. And transferring it to another type of media later is not necessary.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
that's going to fail, and it should have already.

the size of the image would be the same as the system size itself. so if you're taking an image of a 700G setup, it's going to use up another 700G, which you clearly don't have on a 1.0TB hard drive. why it didn't flag this before is odd.

normally, an image of the system (C drive) is made on another drive, preferably a separate and portable drive that's dedicated to carrying backups of things. for example, I use a 1TB portable drive to store system images of all of my computers - they take up from 50G to 150G for each machine, times 4 machines, so I'm using up a good 300G just for images. keep two versions and the space gets used up even more.

cancel, get a separate drive, and save your system image to that.