[SOLVED] System install failed (?) now cannot boot

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
Hi everyone,
I had to replace my MB because the old one died, but after that I noticed my PC got way laggier. I decided to install Windows again, I used the method from a YouTube video using the media creation tool, so I wouldn't lose any files. The update was going fine, but once after rebooting the PC went into Windows Automatic Repair. I was very concerned. After a few minutes in command prompt I noticed it's not my boot SSD but my HDD for games , so I went into BIOS to fix the boot order. After this, my PC welcomed me with a message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and press a key". I have no idea what to do, Windows just failed to install itself. Is there a way to finish the install to my SSD without losing the files? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Formatting the HDD wouldn't be a problem, only games are there, and I can download them from Steam. All my personal files and programs are on the SSD tho, and none of my friends' and family's computers have an M.2 slot so I can check on them. I will try unplugging all drives except the SSD, and if it won't work I'll get a bootable USB and wait for further advice.

Well, if its already broken lol, unplugging the storage drives and just trying to reinstall windows onto the boot drive, wont hurt anything.

If you do try it, let us know what happens.
Hi everyone,
I had to replace my MB because the old one died, but after that I noticed my PC got way laggier. I decided to install Windows again, I used the method from a YouTube video using the media creation tool, so I wouldn't lose any files. The update was going fine, but once after rebooting the PC went into Windows Automatic Repair. I was very concerned. After a few minutes in command prompt I noticed it's not my boot SSD but my HDD for games , so I went into BIOS to fix the boot order. After this, my PC welcomed me with a message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and press a key". I have no idea what to do, Windows just failed to install itself. Is there a way to finish the install to my SSD without losing the files? Thanks in advance.

Its possible some of the files got installed onto the HDD.

Its always suggested to unplug any extra storage drives before installing/reinstalling windows for this reason.

Damn, lesson learned. What should I do?

1st I would try unplugging everything but the boot drive and try reinstalling windows and see if that goes well, and then try installing the extra drives and see if you have an issue still.

However, even if that does work, there still may be some windows files on your HDD that could cause a problem with the good install on the SSD.

Im not really an expert in this but Im sure if Im wrong, someone will chime in. But Im pretty sure when you reinstalled windows, it installed some of the files to the HDD.

And Im pretty sure if thats the case, you may end up needing to either manually find and delete those files once a fresh install is working properly on the SSD, or do some registry fixes. But if none of that works you may lose all the data on the HDD by having to reformat it.

I would wait to see if theres more responses.

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
Formatting the HDD wouldn't be a problem, only games are there, and I can download them from Steam. All my personal files and programs are on the SSD tho, and none of my friends' and family's computers have an M.2 slot so I can check on them. I will try unplugging all drives except the SSD, and if it won't work I'll get a bootable USB and wait for further advice.

Well, if its already broken lol, unplugging the storage drives and just trying to reinstall windows onto the boot drive, wont hurt anything.

If you do try it, let us know what happens.

Solution

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
So this is one of the weirdest things ever I saw. I was there ready with the USB stick, and the PC booted continuing the install. Now all the other drives aren't plugged so I presume the update will complete without problems. I will let you know what happened after it completes (or breaks again).