[SOLVED] System keep freezing and build reboots

• Thread starter Deleted member 2787265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2787265

Dear community,

I got recommendation from one friend to ask you here about my problem, so I guess I have choosen correct thread forum and I would be very greateful for your support. Let's start from beginning and I try explain as much detailed as possible in long story short.

So my build components that I have are:
  • Intel Pentium Gold G5400 (BX80684G5400)
  • ASUS PRIME H310M-E R2.0 (90MB0Z20-M0EAY0)
  • Crucial MX500 250GB SSD (CT250MX500SSD1)
  • HyperX 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 FURY series (HX426C16FB3/8)
  • Seasonic M12II-520 Evo (SS-520GM2)
First problem arised when I powered these components on and noticed unusual reboots which were caused by USB keyboard and mouse. After I replaced them with PS/2 components I decided to update BIOS as I thought it might help (it didn't help too much).

Then I installed operating system with drivers from DVD and when I wanted to use again any USB device my system has frozen, I couldn't operate with it, the monitor has turned off but components were turned on. So I powered them off and accessed BIOS settings where I loaded optimized settings (I didn't before change anything) just to make sure that BIOS load correct settings according to CPU/memory module and so on.

Similiar problem happens also when I am connecting/disconnecting other devices now from rear panel and same when I shake a bit with motherboard and it happens too. I have done a lot of tests and did not find solution, even if I unplugged SSD drive, replaced PSU, keyboard, mouse and it always froze.

I assume that something must be wrong either with motherboard, memory module or PSU because I found out that my CPU doesn't support that memory module at highest possible speed but this wouldn't be that big problem.

Big problem should be between motherboard and PSU, but when I replaced PSU for older one 350W and shaked with motherboard while I hadn't connected SSD drive somehow it has rebooted itself, like it would have lost power connection. I don't mean shaking like literally but shake in term when I plug in or unplug some device.

Thank you for quick response.
Filip

Solution
MoBo RMA is the best option since Asus has the manpower, tools and knowhow to test why MoBo doesn't work right.

Also, if you don't trust in Asus anymore, it's good to switch brands. For me, MSI has been very solid and i haven't had any issues with MSI MoBos.

Oh, topic closure would prevent any further replies to be made here. Usually that isn't done in TH forums and only a mod can close the topic. Instead, a Best Answer is selected by OP (you) which marks this topic as "Solved", so other forum members know that the issue within topic has been resolved and they don't look into it anymore. At each reply, top left corner, there is trophy icon (just above vote up and vote down buttons). Clicking that trophy icon marks that reply as Best...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Let's start from beginning:

If you only have CPU, CPU cooler, MoBo, RAM, PSU, monitor, KB and mouse connected but without any storage drives - can you access BIOS?

If you can, do things look normal within BIOS? E.g can you enable/disable RAM XMP? And does it have effect? By effect i mean, enable RAM XMP, "save", exit BIOS, let PC to reboot (it should enter BIOS again) and look if your RAM holds at 2666 Mhz.

If not, any POST error codes/ MoBo error beeps?

D

Deleted member 2787265

Let's start from beginning:

If you only have CPU, CPU cooler, MoBo, RAM, PSU, monitor, KB and mouse connected but without any storage drives - can you access BIOS?

If you can, do things look normal within BIOS? E.g can you enable/disable RAM XMP? And does it have effect? By effect i mean, enable RAM XMP, "save", exit BIOS, let PC to reboot (it should enter BIOS again) and look if your RAM holds at 2666 Mhz.

If not, any POST error codes/ MoBo error beeps?

Hello,

Yes I could access BIOS but had some troubles, not sure if it was due to this condition you asked me for or due to some settings I changed in BIOS before. First I tried your proposal with changed settings in BIOS and couldn't access, then I performed reset of BIOS but it took me several attempts because when I turned this build on, fan coolers has begun spin and in short time they slowed down. This process with fan coolers keep repeating unless I power PC down. But in general managed my access to BIOS.

Well as BIOS settings were cleared I needed to load optimized settings then, but nothing unusual I could see here. Yes I can on a main page in BIOS change XMP from disabled to pre-created XMP profile, so when I choose this profile and will save settings and PC reboot and then going to BIOS I can see only 2400 MHz, even when profile is set for 2666 MHz.

To beep codes, I just listen always one beep post check, what should mean that everything passed.

This is from MoBo specs : ** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz on Intel® 8th Gen. 6-core or higher processors. And my CPU Pentium has two physical cores.

Thank you,
Filip

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If MoBo is sound, you should have no issues getting into BIOS.

Though, after you made the switch to PS/2 KB/mouse but before BIOS update, did the build work without issues or did you still got problems?
Since it could be possible that BIOS update didn't complete fully, springing more issues out of it. Like the RAM XMP which doesn't want to hold. If you'd have Ryzen build then that kind of RAM issue wouldn't be such a problem since Ryzen CPUs are very picky with RAM. But Intel is solid with RAM and shouldn't have issues, unless MoBo or RAM is faulty.

Also, when 1st accessing BIOS, RAM should run at 2133 Mhz since that's the JEDEC standard. 2400 Mhz and 2666 Mhz are also supported by MoBo but to run those speeds, your RAM must also support either of these two speeds. Using 3000 Mhz, 3200 Mhz or faster RAM with that MoBo is pointless since MoBo doesn't support those speeds and max RAM speed would be 2666 Mhz. That's what the:"** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz" line states. But it doesn't say that Celeron/Pentium CPUs don't support 2400/2666 Mhz speeds.
For example, there are 4800 Mhz RAM kits out there and there are also MoBos that support that fast speeds but there is no CPU on earth that would state the same if you look CPU official specs either from Intel or AMD website. Why RAM manufacturers would make so fast RAM kits? Simple, it's not the CPU that defines the max RAM speed you can use. It's the MoBo.

If you move your RAM into another RAM slot, does it make a difference?

Also, clear CMOS and look if it helps.

D

Deleted member 2787265

If MoBo is sound, you should have no issues getting into BIOS.

Though, after you made the switch to PS/2 KB/mouse but before BIOS update, did the build work without issues or did you still got problems?
Since it could be possible that BIOS update didn't complete fully, springing more issues out of it. Like the RAM XMP which doesn't want to hold. If you'd have Ryzen build then that kind of RAM issue wouldn't be such a problem since Ryzen CPUs are very picky with RAM. But Intel is solid with RAM and shouldn't have issues, unless MoBo or RAM is faulty.

Also, when 1st accessing BIOS, RAM should run at 2133 Mhz since that's the JEDEC standard. 2400 Mhz and 2666 Mhz are also supported by MoBo but to run those speeds, your RAM must also support either of these two speeds. Using 3000 Mhz, 3200 Mhz or faster RAM with that MoBo is pointless since MoBo doesn't support those speeds and max RAM speed would be 2666 Mhz. That's what the:"** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz" line states. But it doesn't say that Celeron/Pentium CPUs don't support 2400/2666 Mhz speeds.
For example, there are 4800 Mhz RAM kits out there and there are also MoBos that support that fast speeds but there is no CPU on earth that would state the same if you look CPU official specs either from Intel or AMD website. Why RAM manufacturers would make so fast RAM kits? Simple, it's not the CPU that defines the max RAM speed you can use. It's the MoBo.

If you move your RAM into another RAM slot, does it make a difference?

Also, clear CMOS and look if it helps.

Hello again,

I do not want to longer waste your free time as I have decided for RMA and will send PC parts to reseller for further diagnostic check, as they have more possibilities in their factory to check with different RAM modules, CPUs, PSUs and so on. BIOS update was made after I noticed the problems, not before the problems arised. As I have already disassembled PC parts and put them into packages I think we can close this topic, anyway I appreciate your advise and wish you happy holidays.

Kind regards,
Filip

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
MoBo RMA is the best option since Asus has the manpower, tools and knowhow to test why MoBo doesn't work right.

Also, if you don't trust in Asus anymore, it's good to switch brands. For me, MSI has been very solid and i haven't had any issues with MSI MoBos.

Oh, topic closure would prevent any further replies to be made here. Usually that isn't done in TH forums and only a mod can close the topic. Instead, a Best Answer is selected by OP (you) which marks this topic as "Solved", so other forum members know that the issue within topic has been resolved and they don't look into it anymore. At each reply, top left corner, there is trophy icon (just above vote up and vote down buttons). Clicking that trophy icon marks that reply as Best Answer and marks topic as Solved. Usually, the most helpful reply is selected as Best Answer.

Solution