[SOLVED] System keeps crashing with mostly new parts [WEIRD]

VirusWar

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
Hello, hope youre all well. Please read it all.

I got some weird stuff going on. Around a week ago, my PC pooped out a BSOD saying " WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" and restarted. It kept doing that but also in between it did manage to boot. I started some standard troubleshooting. Since I bought a used RTX 2060, I first suspected at it. Replaced with my old 1050ti that I used till then, same thing happened. Later I took the RTX 2060 to my friend and he used it for a day, it's good.
Next thing I suspected is RAM, got a memtest USB stick, unplugged all my SATA cables and ran it. Since I got an integrated GPU, I ran the screen from it, so at that moment I had PSU, MOBO, CPU, RAM, and a USB stick connected all together. After around 10 mins, I left to the bathroom and came back to a turned off PC. It turned off while doing memtest. Ran it again, this time it finished all passes with no errors.
Plugged all back up, same stuff happened. Sometimes the PC would boot, it would run a game for 15 mins, then I would exit it and the system would crash and sometimes it would crash before the Windows logon screen.

At this time the system was built out of: I5 3470, RTX 2060, 8GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz, 500 Corsair bronze PSU, 2 SSD and 2 HDD.
Since I already wanted to upgrade, I saw this like a great opportunity to do it. Said, heck it, and went shopping.

My friend has a Biostar A320MH MOBO that he gave me, he used it till he got a new one with NVMe slots and whatnot, so it was laying around.
I got myself Ryzen 5 5500 CPU, and 8GB or DDR4 3200mhz RAM.
Used the HDDs and SSDs from the old PC, as well as my GPU and PSU.

Got everything hooked up, booted into Windows WITHOUT reinstalling it. Guess what? This MOBO crashes without the BSOD, the picture is just gone, says NO SIGNAL and I cant turn off the computer. I assume its the same error, but different response cause its a different MOBO. The fans spin but it doesnt react to anything. Have to plug out the cable. But again, sometimes it does boot! I went into it, got HeavyLoad, ran it for 15 mins and its okay. Fired up Horizon Zero Dawn, set it all to MAX graphics settings and it ran for another 15 mins, and when I exited, and the moment I saw the Desktop, the system crashed.
Figured out it was the system. I had another hard disk laying around with a more or less clean Windows 10 on it. Unplugged all my disks and plugged that one in. Guess what? IT AGAIN CRASHES THE SAME WAY. I had one new SATA cable which I replaced as well. It happens again.
Bios and HWMonitor all display good and correct voltages.

In the end, literally the only things old at one moment that I had in the new computer was a RTX 2060 (cause no more integrated GPU) and my PSU. Also tried using 1050ti, so again I proved it's not the GPU, since it happens again.

Tomorrow I'll borrow a PSU from a friend and see what it says on it, but holy sh#t, I'm beyond lost.

Anyone has ANY ideas what else could it be?

Solution
I got a new motherboard and reinstalled OS, but before doing so I had it with the old OS and even with it, it worked fine.
The culprit was the friends mobo, unlucky I guess.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
The next thing on your list, the PSU, might likely be the culprit. That particular BSOD likes to show itself in 3 ways from my experience:

a. PSU not strong enough, cpu doesn't get enough power and throws out bsod;
b.recent or factory fault in one of the components with main culrpits being mobo, cpu or psu;
c.something amiss or wrong in BIOS settings.

Test the other psu and but reset bios setting to defaults just in case.
Also John is right you should do it on a fresh clean os, doesn't always happen but can't write off some conflict with existing drivers/system files.

VirusWar

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
I will most certainly reinstall the system, but it happens before the system even initializes sometimes, and also with two different drives.
My friend suspects it could be his board, we'll try all my parts in his PC, and also his PSU in mine.
After we'll flash some different BIOS version just to rule that out as well.

The symptoms are similar but not the same. I had a BSOD, and with a different board I don't, but it hangs and just stops responding. I automatically connected those two cases to be the same problem just visualised differently due to the way each motherboard deals with it. But that doesn't need to be the case, it could just be coincidence.
We'll see tmr.
If anyone has some ideas, please do say, it's easy to overlook stuff.

VirusWar

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
I got a new motherboard and reinstalled OS, but before doing so I had it with the old OS and even with it, it worked fine.
The culprit was the friends mobo, unlucky I guess.

Solution