[SOLVED] System lock-down

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
Hello,
I have been asked as part of an assignment to explain what a lock-down of a workstation is and why it is important to security, as well as how to lock-down a workstation .
I searched the web but I couldn't find any articles about it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I thought lock down means some sort of lock on the system, if it detects a security breach. The question in my assignment is
"explain what it means to lock down a workstation and why a business might need to lock down certain workstations."

@kanewolf I do not need someone to do my assignment for me, I just need a source to take my answer from.
BTW this is only one question out of over 20 questions in the assignment.
"A source to take your answer from" IS someone doing the work for you.

My experience with the definition of "lock down" is more generalized. What if you don't want someone to install software, for example? Would that be a "lock down"? Of prevent someone from running specific applications...
You could lock down your computer by pressing the Windows + L keys on your keyboard in the case you need to leave the computer unattended.
You could temporarily lock down your computer if someone tries to guess your password after three consecutive bad password attempts.

At work with use several ways of locking down Windows computers, depending on the user privilege and type of usage to programs, data, and settings.
We restrict programs that can be run, the same way I do it at home with my child that uses my computer.
I have programs on the computer that I do not allow been mess with.
We also have computers connected to sensitive data and USB storage devices are disabled and even Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete are disabled.
We also lock down computer if anyone try to access the BIOS and booting from any other disk than the the primary Windows disk.

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
I thought lock down means some sort of lock on the system, if it detects a security breach. The question in my assignment is
"explain what it means to lock down a workstation and why a business might need to lock down certain workstations."

@kanewolf I do not need someone to do my assignment for me, I just need a source to take my answer from.

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
You could lock down your computer by pressing the Windows + L keys on your keyboard in the case you need to leave the computer unattended.
You could temporarily lock down your computer if someone tries to guess your password after three consecutive bad password attempts.

At work with use several ways of locking down Windows computers, depending on the user privilege and type of usage to programs, data, and settings.
We restrict programs that can be run, the same way I do it at home with my child that uses my computer.
I have programs on the computer that I do not allow been mess with.
We also have computers connected to sensitive data and USB storage devices are disabled and even Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete are disabled.
We also lock down computer if anyone try to access the BIOS and booting from any other disk than the the primary Windows disk.
When I searched the web, all the resouces and articles state this, but due to the way the question is written in the assignment, it made me think that the lock down means locking the system, if a breach is detected.

kanewolf

Titan

My experience with the definition of "lock down" is more generalized. What if you don't want someone to install software, for example? Would that be a "lock down"? Of prevent someone from running specific applications. Would that be a "lock down"?

Solution

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018

My experience with the definition of "lock down" is more generalized. What if you don't want someone to install software, for example? Would that be a "lock down"? Of prevent someone from running specific applications. Would that be a "lock down"?
""A source to take your answer from" IS someone doing the work for you. " What I mean by a source, is an explanation of the concept.

It seems like "lock down" is as you and jojesa stated. That being said, this gave me a clue of what to research for.