Question System locks up after extended/hard use, possible CPU/cooling issue

somedude601

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Hey all. I have a bit of an issue. (A pretty big issue) and it’s one that’s recurring. I’m pretty sure it’s hardware related and pretty sure it has something to do with the CPU/fan.
After a certain amount of use, especially if running games or other somewhat intensive programs, my computer locks up. Completely unresponsive, does not fix itself, need to hold down power button. When I check event viewer afterwards, the only thing that shows is the kernel_power error from me having to hold down the power button.

After 2 sessions of cleaning an immense amount of gunk from the CPU fan, it improves… somewhat. So it probably has SOMETHING to do with that, though strangely running hwmonitor shows the CPU running at an absolute max of 78, but I can hear the fan blowing hard.
So my first question is this: am I on the right track at all?
And two, does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the black cover from this fan so I can get better access to the blades?

The fan:
IMG_1042.jpg

The sound it makes (Side panel of case is off)

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
The pic you attached, it looks like one of those... laptop fans (?) that blows air sideways and not through the heatsink of the CPU.

Just to be absolute clear, please list your full system specs including the PSU model and its age.