[SOLVED] System log event 41, without BSOD

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
I noticed something weird about my Windows 10 system log. It seems ever since last May I have got several "Critical" Kernel errors, event ID 41. So that usually indicates BSOD, system was shut down unexpectedly. But the thing is, I can't remember getting a single BSOD.

I've been just using it, never noticed anything until I saw the logs, checked them for other reason.

Also it seems I get kernel boot event 29 occasionally.

For example last time this was logged, I just installed some WIndows updates and normally rebooted. Didn't notice anything weird.

Also it seems even though I've set my Windows to save minidump, no dump can be found, the directory is empty (I have hidden files visible).

I also ran memory diagnostic, no errors.

Also I tried with different set. First I used CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, then I installed the current one and it seems I've got it once after the change and never noticed before checking the log. Happened at 7 PM, I would have noticed if it would have rebooted or something as I had everything open, up and running.

Can this be an error of a kind, I mean can it sometimes interpret that Windows was not shut down correctly when it in fact was? Any ideas how to solve what is causing it, and as I haven't noticed anything weird, should I even care?

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2400G
ASUS B350-M TUF Gaming plus
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Seasonic 620W PSU
Samsung 840 EVO 256gb SSD
nVidia GTX 760
Win10 Pro 1903

Last edited:
Solution
event 41 just signifies an unexpected restart, you don't necessarily get a BSOD for all of those, not if its caused by hardware or perhaps overheating. Windows doesn't know why it restarted.

If you ever unplug the pc after turning it off, that can cause this. WIn 10 isn't off when you shut it down, its asleep. UNless you turn fast startup off, its in hybrid hibernate mode where a copy of drivers + kernel are saved into ram, so next time you start, it jumps into action. I have fast startup turned off as it doesn't really help a lot on systems with ssd/nvme

If your PC is working fine for most part, just ignore errors in the Event log

Colif

Win 11 Master
event 41 just signifies an unexpected restart, you don't necessarily get a BSOD for all of those, not if its caused by hardware or perhaps overheating. Windows doesn't know why it restarted.

If you ever unplug the pc after turning it off, that can cause this. WIn 10 isn't off when you shut it down, its asleep. UNless you turn fast startup off, its in hybrid hibernate mode where a copy of drivers + kernel are saved into ram, so next time you start, it jumps into action. I have fast startup turned off as it doesn't really help a lot on systems with ssd/nvme

If your PC is working fine for most part, just ignore errors in the Event log

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
Well at least I can say it is not overheating. Using Arctic Freezer 34 and it seems to run super cool.

It is working just fine otherwise, I'll just ignore those then. Was just wondering if there's actually something wrong with some of my hardware, as they still have warranty. Maybe I was just being overcautious.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
see my edit.

can look in reliability monitor and see if any other red X showing in there besides restarts. Thats another window I don't look at unless I really need to, as it can show problems even if system is working too

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
"If you ever unplug the pc after turning it off, that can cause this. "

Ah, that can be the cause then. Because during this summer I've done this many times when I left the house, because of possible thunder storms. Never knew this before.

Thank you for clarifying this. I think I'll just stop looking at those logs and think about it again if some real errors occur :)