Question System memory multiplier vs XMP

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Having a hard time finding any clarity on the difference between the two. Was encountering some crashing issues using XMP 5200, so I disabled XMP and used Gigabyte software system memory multiplier and got the memory to run at 5200 that way and not crash. Is there a difference between running the two? Alternative option DDR5 XMP booster, I could set it to 5200 but haven't tried. I'm more so curious if there is any performance loss not using XMP or trying to understand the differences.

Board is a gigabyte z690 Ultra and Aorus 5200 memory.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Having a hard time finding any clarity on the difference between the two. Was encountering some crashing issues using XMP 5200, so I disabled XMP and used Gigabyte software system memory multiplier and got the memory to run at 5200 that way and not crash. Is there a difference between running the two? Alternative option DDR5 XMP booster, I could set it to 5200 but haven't tried. I'm more so curious if there is any performance loss not using XMP or trying to understand the differences.

Board is a gigabyte z690 Ultra and Aorus 5200 memory.
Does your board have a BIOS update available? Might be voltage related. When you manually set the memory to run at 5200 using gigabytes software system memory multiplier, does it show up in task manager as 5200Mhz?

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Does your board have a BIOS update available? Might be voltage related. When you manually set the memory to run at 5200 using gigabytes software system memory multiplier, does it show up in task manager as 5200Mhz?

Yea builds about a week old, f22 bios, windows, gigabyte software are all up to date. The crash only occurs when launching CoD using XMP profile 1, and yes when I manually set the memory @ 5200 task manager and the gigabyte software recognize it @ 5200.

Just ran 1 timespy benchmark and its like 80/90 points less @ 32228, which I understand may fluctuate.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Yea builds about a week old, f22 bios, windows, gigabyte software are all up to date. The crash only occurs when launching CoD using XMP profile 1, and yes when I manually set the memory @ 5200 task manager and the gigabyte software recognize it @ 5200.
According to gigabtes website, there is a later bios for that board. F.23a. This Bios actually addresses DDR5 compatibility so that might be the issue there.
Z690 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.x) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Bwahaa go figure after I get everything assembled and running. Aside from that back to the generic question? Are there any differences between XMP and the System Memory Multiplier and XMP? And when to use DDR5 XMP booster?