Question System not detecting GPUs.

Aug 9, 2024
Hello, recently upgraded my graphics card from a 970 to a 4060 8GB. After seating it into the motherboard, my system just outright refuses to acknowledge it's there. I've tried switching to the discrete card in the BIOS, scanning for hardware changes in device manager, installing drivers [does not let me because the as far as my computer is concerned, the GPU isn't there], seating it in the other PCIe slot, resetting the CMOS and updating UEFI/BIOS to no avail. Whats more, when I try to put the 970 back in, my system refuses to detect that too!
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX ROG B250H
PSU: Cosair TX650M}
CPU: Intel i7 7700K
RAM: Cosair Vengeance 4x32 GB, DDR4

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, does the BIOS have any PCIe settings? You may need to force PCIe 3.0 mode. On auto the newer PCIe 4.0 card may be failing to negotiate the PCIe speed, and it is now stuck in a weird state for the o

Have you tried a BIOS reset? Updating it only would preserve some settings.

Aug 9, 2024
So you have turned off the onboard gpu and then is it just a black screen?
Turned off onboard GPU, and it resets to either the iGPU or "auto" setting.

Hmm, does the BIOS have any PCIe settings? You may need to force PCIe 3.0 mode. On auto the newer PCIe 4.0 card may be failing to negotiate the PCIe speed, and it is now stuck in a weird state for the o

Have you tried a BIOS reset? Updating it only would preserve some settings.
Yes, already set to 3.0. I've also attempted resetting BIOS already.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What about the other PCIe x16 slot? Just to see if it works.

Beyond that it would be a good idea to see if those cards work in another system. So a repair shop if you don't have another computer available.

Aug 9, 2024
What about the other PCIe x16 slot? Just to see if it works.

Beyond that it would be a good idea to see if those cards work in another system. So a repair shop if you don't have another computer available.
Yes, both PCIe slots have been tested. I asked for advice from a well known chain of computer & electronics store in the UK, and their staff member's pearl of wisdom was that I needed a PSU of at least 700w... For a card that only needs 550 as per Nvidia. Their explanation was that my 650w PSU isn't enough when you take into account other peripherals it needs to power (keyboard, RAM, mouse, CPU etc). Surely this is absolute nonsense?!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
TX650M is a decent unit, if it bit old at this point. But then so is the 7700k.

Even an underpowered PSU would still let you boot with the right cables. You would just likely crash/shutdown under a heavy load.

Only other thing I can think of is you jostled the CPU cooler a bit during the install and the CPU needs to be removed and reinserted. Actually might not be a bad idea to loosen the motherboard from the chassis and screw it back down.

You would be surprised how many PCIe issues are solved by realigning the components. GPU sag being the most common problem.

Aug 9, 2024
TX650M is a decent unit, if it bit old at this point. But then so is the 7700k.

Even an underpowered PSU would still let you boot with the right cables. You would just likely crash/shutdown under a heavy load.

Only other thing I can think of is you jostled the CPU cooler a bit during the install and the CPU needs to be removed and reinserted. Actually might not be a bad idea to loosen the motherboard from the chassis and screw it back down.

You would be surprised how many PCIe issues are solved by realigning the components. GPU sag being the most common problem.
I might try that, bit scared to do it though and I've never done anything relating to handling CPUs/motherboards. I'm sure if I'm careful enough I can manage it.