System not posting, is it the RAM?

CTRLALTDEL98

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
So, I've just built my first PC. Specs: Ryzen 5 2600, RX 570 4GB, MSI B450 Tomahawk, 1 x 8GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX, 1TB WD Blue, Corsair CX550M PSU. I'm wondering if my RAM is why my PC is not posting, I've turned it on and all the lights are on, all fans are spinning but it's not outputting a signal to the display. I'm wondering if it could be the RAM. Is it too fast for my motherboard out of the box? I've seen people using just as fast RAM with B450 motherboards. Is it something I can sort with a BIOS update?

Solution
check that you connected the 8 pin eps cable to the mp for the extra cpu power. also did you use the standoffs to keep the mb from shorting. if you cant get the mb to post try it on top of the mb box. see if you can get into the bios.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The rated RAM speed is only what the RAM is rated for. Not what is is necessarily running at. I doubt that is the problem. Are you sure the video cable from the monitor is plugged into the card and not the motherboard port? What type of connection are you using from monitor to card?

CTRLALTDEL98

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
This is what got me thinking it could be the RAM. "DDR4 MEMORY
1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)
2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)" That's what's listed on the specs list for the motherboard, also I have no idea what JEDEC is

check that you connected the 8 pin eps cable to the mp for the extra cpu power. also did you use the standoffs to keep the mb from shorting. if you cant get the mb to post try it on top of the mb box. see if you can get into the bios.

Solution

CTRLALTDEL98

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
I'll make sure to check all of the cables when I get home. If I remember correctly though all of the cables should be plugged in because I put it all together to make sure it was all running, all the lights and fans were on, but I hadn't got my monitor at that point to check if it would post. Then the next day I tried to do a bit of a better job at cable management. I know for certain that all the standoffs are installed because they come pre installed. I have the Phanteks P400s TG.