Question system obtain old dns

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi. i changed my ISP 3 month ago,
re config my modem and even forgot the wifi on windows and reconnect it later.

i dont know why in windows, i still get DNS from my old isp and this is causing me some problems.

what should i do to fix it?

my windows is 11 latest version
and modem router is TP-Link w9960

If you do IPCONFIG /all what do you see the DNS set to.

Is there where you see the ISP dns or is the DNS your router.

Likely it is hardcoded in either your pc or your router.

In any case I make sure your pc is using DHCP to get the DNS and IP. Next in the router DHCP setting change the dns that it gives to your pc to say 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1.

You want to avoid using any ISP dns and you do not want your router running as a proxy.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
If you do IPCONFIG /all what do you see the DNS set to.

Is there where you see the ISP dns or is the DNS your router.

Likely it is hardcoded in either your pc or your router.

In any case I make sure your pc is using DHCP to get the DNS and IP. Next in the router DHCP setting change the dns that it gives to your pc to say 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1.

You want to avoid using any ISP dns and you do not want your router running as a proxy.
i was clicking on ! mark next to wifi name. then wifi settings came up . on bottom of the page , i saw dns from my old isp

could u please tell me , why should I avoid isp dns?

when i open up my router page, on Status page, i see correct dns (from 2nd isp)

i will use that command and let u know whats there.

The ISP DNS might just be a single server. Things like 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 are google and cloudflare. These IP addresses are duplicated in almost every major city. It means you will always have one very close to your house and if it would ever fail there are thousands of backups. Also most ISP DNS server do not support encrypted DNS which you should use.

Hard to say why the wifi says that. You might have multiple wifi interfaces and it is a old one windows didn't delete. You might be using a different one. It could also be a display error.

The ipconfig command will show you what you are really using.

TRENDING THREADS