[SOLVED] System only posts sometimes, at a loss on what to do

Aug 22, 2021
Started my first pc build and have been troubleshooting all day. GPU, CPU, cooler, ssd, ram and psu are the only things installed. I sometimes get bios to display but once I power off its gone again and randomly reappears. I have replaced the motherboard with a new one and the ram, same issue still occurring. Everything seems to power on and fans running but nothing displaying bios.

Here is what I've done so far:
  • update bios with USB and flash button
  • tried older versions of bios
  • remove CMOS battery
  • reseat components many times
  • checked cpu pins
Here is what I know:
  • when I was able to access bios all the components were listed
  • All led indicators tell me the cpu, ram, and gpu is there
  • monitor works + cables
  • tested psu on its own with jumper
  • cpu alone, powers on
  • Been plugging the monitor into the hdmi slot on the gpu
  • Do I need an old cpu in order to update the motherboard to accept the new cpu I have?
  • boot led is on which indicates the booting device is not detected or fail
    • when USB bios update is plugged in led turns off. When USB is removed led stays on. Wondering if the updates hasn't been staying on the motherboard and if its been reading the flash drive. Friend mentioned that flash drive might have issues since I'm downloading it from a mac.
Not sure what to do anymore, completely at a loss with what to do. Any advice is appreciated!!

Specs:
3060ti
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI B550 a pro
16gb (x2) corsair

Last edited:
Solution
The part that concerns me the most:

One of the LAST things you want to be trying blindly is messing with BIOS.

Did you read the notes in the manufacturers webpage concerning your motherboard and what CPU it came out of the box BIOS ready for?
Did you then also check that what you were trying to flash WAS that correct BIOS?
In many instances BIOS revisions don't work backwards, but your manual and support website should spell that out.

It could very well be that you have some other issue. What PSU are you using for this build?
Did you go through and triple check all your connectors, make sure a pin didn't push...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The part that concerns me the most:

One of the LAST things you want to be trying blindly is messing with BIOS.

Did you read the notes in the manufacturers webpage concerning your motherboard and what CPU it came out of the box BIOS ready for?
Did you then also check that what you were trying to flash WAS that correct BIOS?
In many instances BIOS revisions don't work backwards, but your manual and support website should spell that out.

It could very well be that you have some other issue. What PSU are you using for this build?
Did you go through and triple check all your connectors, make sure a pin didn't push out? You make 110% sure you didn't accidentally use the GPU cable on the CPU connector or vice versa?
You installed all your backplate stand offs correctly?

Is the memory you are using for this build on the QVL?

What are you using for cooling? Is it installed correctly? Did you see a temp while in BIOS?

Solution
Aug 22, 2021
Box said that only 5000 series was box ready. Tried to install a version that correlated to the CPU I have from the website. PSU is Corsair rm650, cables look like they are good. Checked that everything was labeled right. Standoffs were pre installed and matched up to my board. Memory is approved. Used the cooler that came with the CPU, when I was inside bios I saw a temp.

Thanks for the tips! Didn't know messing with bios could be really bad, everywhere I looked said to update it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Box said that only 5000 series was box ready.

Many times manufacturers will use the term "#### ready", meaning that there is a BIOS revision where it's possible to use it. In some cases manufacturers will ship the board as a revision that is already updated to a newer BIOS than what it's original revision was. Often used terminology for that with one manufacturer was the "Max" version (Tomahawk, etc.)
It's really a confusing mess.