[SOLVED] System "out of memory"

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hello,

I've recently been having problems with different programs spitting out "out of memory" errors.

So far it has happened to:
Explorer
Chrome(ironically when I tried making this thread opening tomshardware returned an "out of memory" error for the tab)
Discord(discord just stopped responding and restarted, didn't give specific error, but it did it the same time as explorer)
µtorrent
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-reckoning(got that yesterday)

So far I think I'm down to 3 different things it could be.
Memory
Motherboard
or software

I did this memtest to see if the memory would spit out any errors:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uZr2bwFwZMW9d2QH7

Tomorrow I'm getting some DDR4 RAM to compare with.

Is there any way you know of to distinguish between motherboard and RAM issues?

Is there any way to rule out software issues other than formatting?

Solution
@hotaru.hino Hey again.. It's happened a few times since I last posted here, but I wasn't able to get any strange readings out of it. The reason for that is that task manager wasn't open when it happened. Task manager doesn't monitor retroactively, it only tells you what happens after you've opened it.

Do you know of a good diagnostics program that can run in the background constantly?
You can try PerfMon, it's a built-in Windows tool. There's a thing where you can have it monitor whatever metric Windows exposes.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
You're having out of memory errors with 16GB of RAM?

Please take a screenshot of your task manager with the most used RAM usage processes at the top. Upload the screenshot to imgur.com and link the imgur.com link here.
32GB, not 16GB. You don't like Google's Photos?

You might struggle understanding the windows processes as they're not in English, but here goes:
View: https://imgur.com/a/TynNpFG#inil6mP

I don't see anything awry in the task manager. Not even when the errors are there, and they aren't now.

EDIT: Just noticed you only wanted the processes that used the most memory. The total memory used is never over 10GB when it happens.

Last edited:

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Here you go:
View: https://imgur.com/a/CIQpIwZ

I will hopefully get some DDR4 RAM tomorrow and post some results. The errors aren't always manifesting. Some days I don't even see it once.
EDIT: on the screenshot the computer had just been idle. I was in my bed when I saw the post had an update, 2:41 AM here.
Oh, I'd like to see this page when apps starts thinking its out of memory.

Though initial glance makes me think there shouldn't be a problem unless the apps you're using are 32-bit and are somehow exceeding 2GB, which is the default amount Windows will let 32-bit apps use.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Oh, I'd like to see this page when apps starts thinking its out of memory.

Though initial glance makes me think there shouldn't be a problem unless the apps you're using are 32-bit and are somehow exceeding 2GB, which is the default amount Windows will let 32-bit apps use.
I think aside from µtorrent everything is 64bit. µtorrent doesn't have a 64bit version.

Unfortunately I didn't get the DDR4 RAM today, which means it'll be at least till Monday before I know if using other RAM will make a difference.

I haven't had any problems since last night though.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
@hotaru.hino Hey again.. It's happened a few times since I last posted here, but I wasn't able to get any strange readings out of it. The reason for that is that task manager wasn't open when it happened. Task manager doesn't monitor retroactively, it only tells you what happens after you've opened it.

Do you know of a good diagnostics program that can run in the background constantly?

You can try PerfMon, it's a built-in Windows tool. There's a thing where you can have it monitor whatever metric Windows exposes.

Solution