Question System Performance: Maxed Out CPU / GPU

Sajakain

Reputable
Dec 20, 2019
Before I get into the issues that I am experiencing, I want to let you know the system I'm working with.
  • MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming M7
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W Fully Modular
  • CPU: i5-7600K @ 3.8GHz
    • Cooler: Corsair H80i V2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) DDR4 2400
  • GPU: 8GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    • Driver Version: 441.66
  • SSD: 256GB 950 Pro M.2 2280
    • This holds the OS and applications I call categorize as "Primary Software" (Office, Photoshop, OBS, Vegas Pro, etc) The only game on it is Warcraft
  • HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
    • This holds everything else: primarily any game that I install, all clients (Origin, Steam, etc).
I run two identical monitors: Acer Abidpx 27" 144Hz. One is connected via display port (the one that displays all the games) and the other is connected via HDMI (Web browser, Discord, etc)

=============

The issue that I'm primarily experiencing is certain games are maxing out my CPU and GPU to 100%. I notice this very rarely and, admittedly, just recently started looking at it a lot. To put it simply, it's just not making sense to me. Here are some scenarios that I'm experiencing:

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

When this game is running in DX12, and monitoring CPUID HWMonitor, my CPU and GPU utilization are maxed out to 100%. Previously watching the built in task manager from windows, it also seemed to max out the CPU but barely touch the GPU (utilization was sub 5% via the task manager). When I run the game in DX11, however, the CPU still hangs around the 95% - 100% utilization but the GPU utilization (via Task Manager) also shoots up to 50% - 65%.​
When reviewing the recommended hardware specifications for this title, it's recommending generations of hardware that are older than what I am currently running. Why is this game maxing my CPU, primarily, and only seeming to affect my GPU in DX11 mode vs DX12?​
It's worth noting that the game itself does not suffer any noticeable performance loss when my hardware is maxed. Other software, however, is definitely impacted. Discord voice breaks, my web browser is slow and almost unresponsive, other windows are delayed, etc. Naturally it makes sense that if the game is hogging all the resources then other applications trying to get their use will suffer. It falls back to the original question, though, of why is the game taking so much in the first place?​
Grand Theft Auto V / FiveM

This is another title that is noticeably impacting my hardware and maxing the GPU / CPU at 100%. The difference is that I notice the impact in game. The city, when driving around, will not render in time, textures do not show up, whole buildings don't render, etc.​
=============

As previously stated, I'm just looking for ideas, suggestions, and potential solutions from folks that know more than I do in this matter. On the surface, it doesn't make sense to me. I have the hardware to run these games without a single issue.

Thank you, in advance, for anyone that takes the time to invest themselves in this issue. It's greatly appreciated.

Sajakain

Reputable
Dec 20, 2019
cpu/gpu temp during the game?

I'm not sure if this will help, but this was taken when Civ VI was running. I was in a game with 3 AI. I wasn't really playing, I was just sitting there (the game was waiting for me to take my turn).

WtfWzTM.png