[SOLVED] System POSTs but no video output, have tried different cards and cables ?

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi guys,
I decided to put together a mining rig with my old components, stuff I had upgraded out of but which, to my knowledge, still worked. These are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 Rev. 1.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350
1 Stick RAM, DDR3 8GB 1600 MHz cl11
A 256GB SATA SSD.

The plan was to buy a power supply (got an EVGA 500W Gold non-modular), stick in my old RX 480 8GB, and get a trickle of satoshi. The PSU would have paid for itself in about 45 days.
I built the system outside of the case. System appears to POST, GPU lights up, fans are spinning, etc, so I put everything into the case and try to boot. System POSTs again, but there's no video output.

Here is what I've tried:
-Different video outputs and cables
Then,
-Different PCI-E slot (the 8x).
-Unplugged VGA power.
-Using another graphics card - R7 270X 2GB
-Using the other graphics card in the 8x slot.
-All eight permutations of the four methods above

It should be noted that the R7 270X doesn't seem to get as far as the RX 480 - the latter has the light on and fan spinning, while the former's fan stops and starts. This happens with or without VGA power. Also, the FX-8350 does not have integrated video, so I have no feedback aside from whether or not fans are spinning. I don't have a system speaker, or POST-code LED thing.

Stay safe yall!

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Did this used to run with the 8350? if not you may just need to update the bios (f9 or newer is required)
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Your battery may be dead or too depleted to have kept from corrupting it.
Thank you for your response. The CMOS battery was brand new, and works in another device.
All components used here were parts from a previous build. I upgraded parts over time and kept the original parts for diagnostic purposes. Mobo, RAM, and CPU were the last to go. I now have all the spares from the original build (current daily driver pc is entirely "new" except for psu), and those are what I'm trying to (re)assemble.
Since the fx-8350 doesn't have an integrated gpu, I can't see the BIOS (assuming the sys+cpu fans spinning means it has POSTed).

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
I've now swapped motherboards, RAM, and GPU. In all cases, the system looks like it's posted but there's no video output from any of the ports on either card, or on the new motherboard's DVI slot (though I didn't expect anything there).