Question System powering off and restarting randomly

May 31, 2020
Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can help me figure out a problem that's been plaguing my PC for the last few months. The basics of it is that my PC powers down or restarts at what seems to be completely random occurrences. Sometimes it can be weeks without seeing it happen, other times it happens every few hours, and sometimes (like today) it happens every few seconds.

When it happens the machine shuts down instantly without going to a BSOD. Sometimes it will reboot and jump back into windows within seconds. Other times it will shut off completely and require me to manually power it back on.

The PC was a pre-build, but I have upgraded it a lot in the recent months in an attempt to fix the issue. Below are some of things I have done to attempt to fix this.

When the problem started I believed it was power related, so I upgraded the stock PSU to a Corsair 750w Gold. I redid all the cabling. I didn't see the problem for a few days - but then it started again.

After this I did a "reinstall of Windows 10". I didn't see the problem for about a week before it started.

Next I checked my temps with HWInfo and saw that my CPU was running at around 65-70 degrees celsius while gaming. I opened my case and realised that this pre-build only had 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan. I replaced my case with a Fractal Meshify S2, cleaned & dusted all of my components, replaced my CPU thermal paste and installed a Corsair H115i Pro . The most recent tests on my machine are giving me CPU temps of 42 degrees celsius playing the same game. After the cleaning and cooler installation I had no problems for two weeks, and in the last few days it has started again.

Other things I have done to try stop the problem are:
  • Stopping all unnecessary software from launching at startup
  • Running Windows memory diagnostics (it ran fine)
  • Launching the BIOS and leaving it to see if reset occurs (it didn't)
  • Launching software one at a time to see if it causes crashes (Steam, Epic, Chrome, Dischord, etc)
  • Check the Event Viewer (not sure what I'm looking for here)
  • Turn off "Automatic Restart" for hardware failure
I have no idea where to go from here. One possibility is RAM, but unfortunately I don't have a spare stick to try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Current Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4ghz
Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO
MOBO: MSI Z270-A Pro ATX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x16gb
Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB SSD (Windows installed here)
Storage 2: WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
Storage 3: HP S700 1TB SSD
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Overclocked Edition
Case: Fractal Meshify S2
PSU: Corsair RM 750w 80+ Gold
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0"

darenw

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Sounds a lot like my upgraded computer a year ago. It was the power supply. Looks like you've already thought of that. But, can you borrow an even heftier PSU?

Jun 1, 2020
It sounds a bit silly, but it might be the power switch on your case.

I had a similar problem. At times the issue wouldn't resurface for MONTHS. Recently it had gotten pretty bad so I just figured components were failing on my almost 9yr old rig.

I had tried out different ram and done all sorts of troubleshooting (reseating, software settings, etc.) to no avail.

Then at one point the power switch on my case (Antec 300 II) kind of...broke. That is to say, the mechanism that pushes the button that turns on the PC fell apart. I was able to sort of piece it together, but the issue with the PC randomly restarting (at times only seconds after starting) seemed to have gotten worse all of a sudden.

Bumping into my computer would prompt it to start shutting down and then it would do this restart process for a while.

My solution?

Well, if I slightly pulled out the front face from the top right corner (where the power switch is close to) it would turn on my PC, but the random restarts stopped. I wedged a paperclip on the top right corner (elegant, I know) in order to prevent....whatever bad contact was occurring. Now I can use my power switch normally and bumping my PC doesn't cause a restart. Sometimes the software/hardware have nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's purely mechanical.

May 31, 2020
Sounds a lot like my upgraded computer a year ago. It was the power supply. Looks like you've already thought of that. But, can you borrow an even heftier PSU?

Thanks. This is a brand new PSU, showing the same symptoms as before the I replaced it. But will see if I can borrow one from a friend to try.

Consumption wise I checked on PCPartPicker (not sure of the accuracy) and it says that I only need 382w, so my 750w gold should be alright?

May 31, 2020
It sounds a bit silly, but it might be the power switch on your case.

I had a similar problem. At times the issue wouldn't resurface for MONTHS. Recently it had gotten pretty bad so I just figured components were failing on my almost 9yr old rig.

I had tried out different ram and done all sorts of troubleshooting (reseating, software settings, etc.) to no avail.

Then at one point the power switch on my case (Antec 300 II) kind of...broke. That is to say, the mechanism that pushes the button that turns on the PC fell apart. I was able to sort of piece it together, but the issue with the PC randomly restarting (at times only seconds after starting) seemed to have gotten worse all of a sudden.

Bumping into my computer would prompt it to start shutting down and then it would do this restart process for a while.

My solution?

Well, if I slightly pulled out the front face from the top right corner (where the power switch is close to) it would turn on my PC, but the random restarts stopped. I wedged a paperclip on the top right corner (elegant, I know) in order to prevent....whatever bad contact was occurring. Now I can use my power switch normally and bumping my PC doesn't cause a restart. Sometimes the software/hardware have nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's purely mechanical.

I actually thought about this too, but I have replaced the case, so I doubt that. Unless it's the connection on the mobo?

Jun 1, 2020
I actually thought about this too, but I have replaced the case, so I doubt that. Unless it's the connection on the mobo?

Yea. It would be worth checking the Front Panel connections on your MoBo. Not exactly sure what to look for. Maybe a bent pin or other damage? Is it clear of dust or other debris?

With the GPU and other components I can't see the power usage really being over 550w so the PSU should be good enough at 750.

May 31, 2020
Yea. It would be worth checking the Front Panel connections on your MoBo. Not exactly sure what to look for. Maybe a bent pin or other damage? Is it clear of dust or other debris?

With the GPU and other components I can't see the power usage really being over 550w so the PSU should be good enough at 750.

Yeah, no idea what to look for on the mobo, but will start with the pins.

I managed to use the machine for a full day yesterday without restarts. Haven't been able to get out of the restart loop today. It's bizarre.