[SOLVED] System powers off after few seconds even while idling in BIOS

Aug 26, 2019
Recently my pc started to power off randomly after a couple of minutes. While trouble shooting it, it got worse and now it powers off almost immediately after a few seconds even in the BIOS. So far I tried:

• Monitoring temps: All below 50°C
  • Cleaning the PSU from dust
  • Clearing CMOS by removing battery
  • Replacing CMOS battery
  • Checking Voltages: All withing a range of +/- a few percent

After a few seconds after the system has powered off, the indecator led of my keybord (PS/2) for Capslock etc. flash like when pluging into the socket. So my guess is that a protection mechanism of the PSU was triggered and released afterwards. Maybe it's the faulty part? However, even before that my fans used to ramp up to full speed during booting and shutting down, sometimes even while gaming. I put the blame on the motherboard. So it could also be the MB died.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare PSU to verify my first thought. But maybe you guys have any other ideas I could try before buying any stuff I might not need. I don't want to update my bios, fearing the power offs might brick my system.

My specs are:
  • Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
  • i5 2500k @ Stock Speeds
  • BeQuiet Straight Power E8 550W
  • G.Skill RipJaws 1033Mhz CL9 4x 4GB
  • RX 480 8GB
  • 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB

Solution
If the other E8s and E9s are anything to go by, they're not great units. And also only have a 3 year warranty. I wouldn't even use some of the bette PSUs on the market past 7 years. All PSUs have a shelf life, and the poorer quality PSUs even more so. The E8 aren't even made any more.

If I recall, some of the E8s didn't even have OTP and failed various transient response tests, but ripple suppression was alright, but not great. It could be the PSU is having it's final lap.

If it still happens without the GPU or RAM, the usual running order for random reboots (once software has been eliminated) is PSU > MB > CPU.

But even for argument's sake if it isn't the PSU, you wouldn't be losing out by upgrading to a good unit.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

How long have you had the PSU? It's not great quality from my recollection.
First i would try removing your GPU and seeing if the restart persists.
Following that remove all but 1 RAM module and repeat. Then feedback.

Well, it can't be the storage devices, but could be just about anything else.

To eliminate a few options could you try this:
  1. Testing with the GPU disconnected, use on-board video.
  2. If the problem persists, test with just one RAM stick at a time.

It's not likely to be one of these issues, but these are just the easiest to test. If that doesn't fix the problem, it's either the PSU, motherboard, or CPU, all of which will need swapped with a replacement to test.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the other E8s and E9s are anything to go by, they're not great units. And also only have a 3 year warranty. I wouldn't even use some of the bette PSUs on the market past 7 years. All PSUs have a shelf life, and the poorer quality PSUs even more so. The E8 aren't even made any more.

If I recall, some of the E8s didn't even have OTP and failed various transient response tests, but ripple suppression was alright, but not great. It could be the PSU is having it's final lap.

If it still happens without the GPU or RAM, the usual running order for random reboots (once software has been eliminated) is PSU > MB > CPU.

But even for argument's sake if it isn't the PSU, you wouldn't be losing out by upgrading to a good unit.

Solution
Aug 26, 2019
I think I'll go with a new PSU and if it doesn't fix the Problem use it in a new System.

Any recomendations for a entry to mid-range PSU between 550-650W? BeQuiet is often recommended in this range, at least by the magazines I'm reading. Recently I stumpled across a review about the "Xilence Performance X 550W" which sounds promissing, but the extremely short warenty is rather weird. Another Candidate would be the "Corsair TX550M".

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think I'll go with a new PSU and if it doesn't fix the Problem use it in a new System.

Any recomendations for a entry to mid-range PSU between 550-650W? BeQuiet is often recommended in this range, at least by the magazines I'm reading. Recently I stumpled across a review about the "Xilence Performance X 550W" which sounds promissing, but the extremely short warenty is rather weird. Another Candidate would be the "Corsair TX550M".
The magazine available are always run by sponsors, I would usually give a thorough list of recommendations at link at this point, but I am responding via mobile so I will keep it simple:

Top options that are usually very good value would likely be:
  • Corsair RMx and TX (RMx is better but TX is excellent and great value still) 7-10 year warranty.
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus and Prime series (prime is better but usually much more expensive) 10-12 year warranty.
  • Sometimes there are good value EVGA SUPERNOVA.

Depending on where you are, be quiet! Make some good PSUs, but also some meiiocre and poorer ones, and tend to cost a lot more when the Corsairs and Seasonic can equal or be better quality for the same or better value (depends on where you are obviously - I'm UK and that's definitely the case)

The ones I've suggested are higher end definitely, but I will always argue they are worth it. If it fits your budget better, the TXM is excellent. And comes with 7 year warranty. The most budget friendly one could probably recommend is a CORSAIR CX model, the TX is better but the CX is decent.

If you are able to hold fire until after I sleep and let me know your location I can give you proper recommendations tomorrow!

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Right I've selected Germany as the POS so you could consider these after looking at the prices in your area - I've scoped out ones above $100 and poorer quality ones (I'll only recommend very good quality PSUs - not mediocre ones):

Higher budget ones - excellent quality:
Power Supply:
be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€98.95 @ ARLT)
Total: €98.95 - 5 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.99 @ ARLT)
Total: €89.99 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.80 @ Alza)
Total: €89.80 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €89.90 - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Lower budget ones that are still excellent quality (maybe not as good as above, but still great):
Power Supply:
BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€69.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €69.90 - 5 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: €Unknown - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€74.87 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €74.87 - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€79.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €79.90 - 3 YEAR WARRANTY (I would not choose this one as it is no longer produced)

For me of the above, the TXM is excellent value for a 7 year warranty, the Straight Power Be Quiet is excellent but much more expensive when the Seasonic FOCUS Plus is comparable quality but cheaper (and I'd always choose the Seasonic over it anyway).

Usually the model that is most budget friendly that is not as good as all of the above but still good is a Corsair CX series, which I'd imagine would be around 50 euros (speculating).

Again, Be Quiet! make some great units, like the Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro 11 etc. I Just find that in many places, they're more expensive than equal counterparts, and be quiet seems to have a lot of magazine sponsorships from what I've seen (as do Cooler Master). and unfortunately CM make a lot of trash too!

If you're curious at all, I run a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold in 1 rig and a Corsair CX in another.

Last edited: