[SOLVED] System powers off whenever I plug in GPU power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2020
So A few days ago, I came home and my pc just wouldn’t turn on. At all. The PSU clicked (prob meaning shortage) and after many trouble shooting i found out that it only happened when GPU power (8-pin) was in my GPU. The graphics card would even show a red LED when it would boot (obv without the 8-pin installed) so i just don’t know what’s the problem here... Because when it is installed inside the PCi-E slot, It shows an LED...

System: Asrock B450 M Pro4
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 2600
PSU: Bitfenix Formula Gold 450 W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB 3000 Mhz running in dual channel

Edit: I already tried ‘jumpstarting’ the psu with a paperclip and i got fan spin every time.

Last edited:
Solution
koenraad Am I absolutely certain? No. But PSU's should never make a "click" sound. I've purchased about 6 power supplies in the past five years, and have never personally experienced that. The power supply is the most likely cause, but no, there are no certainties here.

By the way, I'm familiar with several of your components as I own the Asrock B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / and Corsair Vengeance LPX albeit 2400 Mhz RAM, in one of my builds.

By the way, when you say that you're jump starting the power supply with a paperclip, what do you mean exactly? Regardless, were it me, I would order a new power supply and start the RMA process on the current one, and keep it's replacement as a spare. One last thing: I do not skimp...
"after many trouble shooting i found out that it only happened when GPU power (8-pin) was in my GPU".

That suggests to me that the PSU is too weak. 450w for an RX 580 is not enough, it doesn't leave any overhead so the PSU has been working at or near it's limit all the time and it can't do it anymore. PSU needs to be at least 550w in my opinion.

Reactions: koenraad
koenraad Is the 8 pin PCIe CPU cable (4 + 4) connected from the power supply into the 8 pin socket? And the graphics card is installed in the top PCIe slot, correct?

4NPcwkN.jpg

Question: For how many months or years was this system up-and-running with these same specs? Did any hardware configuration change proceed the system not booting up? Example: You recently installed the graphics card.

Despite the fact that Tom's has a two year article about this PSU, stating that it's "very good", I wouldn't personally consider purchasing that brand. Generally I only would consider EVGA, Seasonic, and Corsair.

BitFenix Formula Gold 450W PSU Review: Compact, Efficient, And Near-Silent
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-bf450g-power-supply,5614.html

What I would do: After confirming my earlier questions, then I would proceed to purchase a better quality power supply. Also, I would register and open a ticket with Bitfenix, and submit a warranty claim (https://www.bitfenix.com/support/). Chance are you'll only receive a refurbished model, not a new one, but that's fine. Also, it's likely that they would request that you send the potentially damaged power supply to them at your cost, but you can see if you can get around this requirement, but wait and see if they make this request first; don't volunteer to send it in. Regardless, I definitely would not wait for a replacement PSU from Bitfenix, I would simply order a new unit, from a high quality brand.

Also, while submitting the ticket, I would be simultaneously tweeting the company (https://twitter.com/BitFenix ). Yes I am serious. I've received very good results from tweeting companies about support issues. I would honestly submit the ticket and also tweet the company. In reference to tweeting, I notice that their twitter page has a private "message option" as well. Good luck, and please keep this thread updated with the latest development.

Last edited:
Reactions: koenraad
Jun 26, 2020
koenraad Is the 8 pin PCIe CPU cable (4 + 4) connected from the power supply into the 8 pin socket? And the graphics card is installed in the top PCIe slot, correct?

4NPcwkN.jpg

Question: For how many months or years was this system up-and-running with these same specs? Did any hardware configuration change proceed the system not booting up? Example: You recently installed the graphics card.

Despite the fact that Tom's has a two year article about this PSU, stating that it's "very good", I wouldn't personally consider purchasing that brand. Generally I only would consider EVGA, Seasonic, and Corsair.

BitFenix Formula Gold 450W PSU Review: Compact, Efficient, And Near-Silent
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-bf450g-power-supply,5614.html

What I would do: After confirming my earlier questions, then I would proceed to purchase a better quality power supply. Also, I would register and open a ticket with Bitfenix, and submit a warranty claim (https://www.bitfenix.com/support/). Chance are you'll only receive a refurbished model, not a new one, but that's fine. Also, it's likely that they would request that you send the potentially damaged power supply to them at your cost, but you can see if you can get around this requirement, but wait and see if they make this request first; don't volunteer to send it in. Regardless, I definitely would not wait for a replacement PSU from Bitfenix, I would simply order a new unit, from a high quality brand.

Also, while submitting the ticket, I would be simultaneously tweeting the company (https://twitter.com/BitFenix ). Yes I am serious. I've received very good results from tweeting companies about support issues. I would honestly submit the ticket and also tweet the company. In reference to tweeting, I notice that their twitter page has a private "message option" as well. Good luck, and please keep this thread updated with the latest development.
Thanks for the reply! Everything is indeed as you said. I built the system with a friend in January. I have never had any graphical/power issues before... So you’re saying I should look for a new PSU. Are you sure it’s not related to the graphics card? Thanks for the help!

Jun 26, 2020
"after many trouble shooting i found out that it only happened when GPU power (8-pin) was in my GPU".

That suggests to me that the PSU is too weak. 450w for an RX 580 is not enough, it doesn't leave any overhead so the PSU has been working at or near it's limit all the time and it can't do it anymore. PSU needs to be at least 550w in my opinion.
So your saying that because the Psu was running on max load the entire time it just broke?

koenraad Am I absolutely certain? No. But PSU's should never make a "click" sound. I've purchased about 6 power supplies in the past five years, and have never personally experienced that. The power supply is the most likely cause, but no, there are no certainties here.

By the way, I'm familiar with several of your components as I own the Asrock B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / and Corsair Vengeance LPX albeit 2400 Mhz RAM, in one of my builds.

By the way, when you say that you're jump starting the power supply with a paperclip, what do you mean exactly? Regardless, were it me, I would order a new power supply and start the RMA process on the current one, and keep it's replacement as a spare. One last thing: I do not skimp on power supplies ever. I do not exaggerate when I say that I consider it the most important component of my build. If your issue is indeed caused by your power supply, then feel fortunate that it didn't damage any of the other components connected to it. A lesser unit certainly could do so.

The future Nvidia 30 series 3080 Ti are rumored to have a 320 watt TDP. If I were to believe this figure, and were in your position, I would order a power supply with at least 650 (but no more 750) watts. And ideally it would come with a 7 - 12 year warranty, be modular and have gold efficiency, although bronze is acceptable; gold units usually have longer warranties though. All my power supplies have no less than 10 year warranties, which means that they'll last through two PC build cycles. If you divide the purchase price of a power supply over ten years, it starts to look liked more of a bargain. Personally I've always like the EVGA G2/P2/T2 units, but they are hard to come by right now. I think EVGA deal with Super Flower, the OEM manufacturer of these particular models, has come to an end. Moving forward, I'm probably going to purchase Seasonic's Prime (or Focus) GX / PX / TX lines of power supplies. The Focus is a small step below the prime, although still excellent. The GX is the gold efficiency unit, therefor the Seasonic Focus GX 650 would likely be the best value for your money, assuming that you can find one: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16809-Seasonic-Line-Up-and-OneSeasonic-Initiative

FYI: The EVGA T2 power supply in my signature is 1,000 watts, only because I used to run two 980 Ti's in SLI. For my single GPU, it's massive overkill and completely unnecessary. I also got the PSU on a one day sale for "only" $140 USD, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with that particular unit.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 26, 2020

By the way, when you say that you're jump starting the power supply with a paperclip, what do you mean exactly? Regardless, were it me, I would order a new power supply and start the RMA process on the current one, and keep it's replacement as a spare. One last thing: I do not skimp on power supplies ever. I do not exaggerate when I say that I consider it the most important component of my build. If your issue is indeed caused by your power supply, then feel fortunate that it didn't damage any of the other components connected to it. A lesser unit certainly could do so.

The future Nvidia 30 series 3080 Ti are rumored to have a 320 watt TDP. If I were to believe this figure, and were in your position, I would order a power supply with at least 650 (but no more 750) watts. And ideally it would come with a 7 - 12 year warranty, be modular and have gold efficiency, although bronze is acceptable; gold units usually have longer warranties though. All my power supplies have no less than 10 year warranties, which means that they'll last through two PC build cycles. If you divide the purchase price of a power supply over ten years, it starts to look liked more of a bargain. Personally I've always like the EVGA G2/P2/T2 units, but they are hard to come by right now. I think EVGA deal with Super Flower, the OEM manufacturer of these particular models, has come to an end. Moving forward, I'm probably going to purchase Seasonic's Prime (or Focus) GX / PX / TX lines of power supplies. The Focus is a small step below the prime, although still excellent. The GX is the gold efficiency unit, therefor the Seasonic Focus GX 650 would likely be the best value for your money, assuming that you can find one: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16809-Seasonic-Line-Up-and-OneSeasonic-Initiative

FYI: The EVGA T2 power supply in my signature is 1,000 watts, only because I used to run two 980 Ti's in SLI. For my single GPU, it's massive overkill and completely unnecessary. I also got the PSU on a one day sale for "only" $140 USD, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with that particular unit.
Wow thanks guys for this. Really helped me out! I will RMA my PSU and i’ll keep you guys updated!:)

Reactions: rcald2000
Jun 26, 2020
Update: I

update: i got the new psu today. unfortunately. It didn’t work:(((. I should prob get a new gpu... (Not that I have money for that atm) I just don’t get it. How did this happen? It just... Broke??? No graphical/thermal issues whatsoever. And when I turned it on it just didn’t do anything. Sometimes without GPU power plugged in it works... I just can’t do anything as Ryzen doesn’t have integrated graphics. Anyone any other ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.