Question System random freezing/stuttering

Jan 31, 2023
So I've had this problem for months now, I probably should have done something about it a long time a go. But it's always been just below the threshold of annoying, for me to always ignore it. I think it's time to finally fix this issue!

I got my shiny new PC from Cyberpower in September 2021. I can't say exactly when the problem started, but it's probably been around 6 months (I know...). At the time, I don't remember thinking that anything noticeable had changed to cause it, it just started out of the blue.

The issue - in no noticeable pattern - but probably no more frequently than every few hours - the system will basically slow down for a few seconds (1-5secs) and then catch back up and carry on as normal. It happens in games, while watching a movie or youtube. Anywhere really. It causes both visual and audio to slow down at the same rate. In videos, once it's finished lagging, it'll just carry back on. In games - once it stops lagging - the game will usually speed up for a few seconds, as if it's trying to catch up (everything will move super fast, including the sound).

Another thing I've noticed, perhaps in a similar timeframe, and again not annoying enough for me to have done anything about it. But sometimes, when I try to play certain videos online, it will cause strange glitching artifacts across the whole screen. It especially happens with embedded videos, for example on reddit, when I mouse over them. Don't know if these issues are related or seperate.

I still have a couple of years of warranty, but the last thing I want them to do is take my PC away to repair it or replace it. It's really a last resort, which I might have to do, if it turns out to be a major hardware issue.

My system specs:

Windows 11 (Everything is always kept up to date, drivers etc.)
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-Plus: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2
MD Ryzen 9 5950X - 16-Core 3.40GHz, 4.9GHz Turbo - 64MB L3 Cache Processor
MSI GeForce® RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3600mhz Dual Channel Memory
Cyberpower Masterliquid Lite 360 Liquid Cooling System w/ 360mm Radiator
2TB (1x2TB) XPG GAMMIX S70 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD - 7400MB/s Read & 6800MB/s Write
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD - 560MB/s Read / 530MB/s Write
4TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 5400RPM Hard Drive
Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80+ Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply

If any other information is needed, ask away. I'm be very grateful if anyone can help me solve this problem.

Jan 31, 2023
Thank you for the reply!

The NVMe is about 3 quarters full. The Samsung SSD is about a third full.

CPU, while just having Chrome open and nothing else going on is around 40 degrees C

Edit: Armoury Crate says the "CPU Package" is around 40. But also says the CPU is around 30. Don't know what the difference is, but there you go!

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Thank you for the reply!

The NVMe is about 3 quarters full. The Samsung SSD is about a third full.

CPU, while just having Chrome open and nothing else going on is around 40 degrees C

Edit: Armoury Crate says the "CPU Package" is around 40. But also says the CPU is around 30. Don't know what the difference is, but there you go!
How hot does your CPU get while under gaming load?

Jan 31, 2023
So I ran Assassin's Creed Valhalla as an example for a good 10mins. It's at maximum graphical settings. The CPU was a steady 50 degrees the whole time.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
So I ran Assassin's Creed Valhalla as an example for a good 10mins. It's at maximum graphical settings. The CPU was a steady 50 degrees the whole time.
So it sounds like your temps are pretty good.
How about startup programs? Do you run current security software? Have you scanned recently with Malwarebytes? Just wondering if you have something running in the background that doesn't need to be there...

Jan 31, 2023
Thank you for your speedy responses!

I only use Windows built-in security software, Defender (if it's still called that...)

Startup software:

Cortana
Java Update Scheduler
LGHUB
Windows Security Notification Icon
Samsung Magician
MSI Afterburner

I've just run a Malwarebytes scan (first time on this PC) and it's coming back with zero threats detected

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Personally, I'd disable Cortana and Java update scheduler at least...you could probably live without the LGHUB and Afterburner running as well.
Consider running a quality security suite. I like Kaspersky total security, but there are a myriad of good programs out there.

Jan 31, 2023
I probably could disable Cortana and Java updater (although I doubt they're having any noticeable effect on my PC's performance). LGHUB controls the LEDs on my speakers (they match the colours on the monitor and project onto the wall behind, pretty cool!)

I have always used Windows Defender and it's always suited me perfectly. Based on independent reviews online, it performs just as well as the competition.

But either way, I don't think either of these changes will solve my current problem.

Thank you though for your advice. I'm guessing we've mostly eliminated it being caused by temperature or malware? Hopefully, we can pinpoint what is causing it and get it sorted!