Apr 22, 2021
I just got this new pc:
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Zotac Gaming AMP Holo
CPU - AMD AM4 Ryzen 7 3800X
M.2 - M.2 PCI-E NVMe Kingston A2000 - 1TB
Cooler - Xilence M504D
Power supply - Corsair RMx Series RM850x
Motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

When I booted it up for the first time it was working fine until it randomly froze and crashed. Ever since then I have been experiencing seemingly random crashes however when I go into my Bios the crashes dont happen.
The crashes give me a black screen and cause the pc to restart. The POST has no issues.

I have tried:
- Update Bios
- Reinstaled windows (fails because it keeps crashing mid install)
- unplugged and plugged in all the cables in the pc
- switched out ram
- checked the hardware monitor for bad voltages from the psu
- reset all the bios settings to default

I have managed to get as far as clearing all the data on my M.2 and on my HDD. I am unsure of what to try next and any help would be very much appreciated.

I just got this new pc:
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Zotac Gaming AMP Holo
CPU - AMD AM4 Ryzen 7 3800X
M.2 - M.2 PCI-E NVMe Kingston A2000 - 1TB
Cooler - Xilence M504D
Power supply - Corsair RMx Series RM850x
Motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

When I booted it up for the first time it was working fine until it randomly froze and crashed. Ever since then I have been experiencing seemingly random crashes however when I go into my Bios the crashes dont happen.
The crashes give me a black screen and cause the pc to restart. The POST has no issues.

I have tried:
- Update Bios
- Reinstaled windows (fails because it keeps crashing mid install)
- unplugged and plugged in all the cables in the pc
- switched out ram
- checked the hardware monitor for bad voltages from the psu
- reset all the bios settings to default

I have managed to get as far as clearing all the data on my M.2 and on my HDD. I am unsure of what to try next and any help would be very much appreciated.
Is docp enabled for dual channel ram? Is ram time set? Is turbo enable? Is the cooler properly seating.

Apr 22, 2021
Is docp enabled for dual channel ram? Is ram time set? Is turbo enable? Is the cooler properly seating.
Doch isn’t enabled and it’s 1 16gb stick of ram.
I’m unsure if ram times are set. And turbo is disabled.
I have also just run a mem test and the ram passed so the ram isn’t faulty.
also during the mem test my cpu has a max temp of 56°C average of 46°c and min of 31°c.

Doch isn’t enabled and it’s 1 16gb stick of ram.
I’m unsure if ram times are set. And turbo is disabled.
I have also just run a mem test and the ram passed so the ram isn’t faulty.
also during the mem test my cpu has a max temp of 56°C average of 46°c and min of 31°c.
.... What did you use to test the cpu???? Even with turbo off the cpu shouod be hotter then 56c under load... What the sull system speccs including cooler
Psu
Ram
Memory
Mobo

Apr 22, 2021
I ran a the mem test from a usb and those were the temps which it recorded.

Cooler: Xilence M504D - air cooler
Ram: 1x16gb crucial cl22 ddr4
Memeory: 1 gn kingston nvme ssd and 1tb hdd
Motherboard: Msi tomahawk max

Apr 22, 2021
No application right now I am trying to get into the pc but it keeps crashing. I have been trying to reinstall windows however that doesnt work. The Memtest86 ran completely stable without any issues. The second i try to load into any of the drives it crashes.

Apr 22, 2021
Little update -
I have tested a different GPU and RAM and am getting the same issue.
I have now unplugged all the connections and am taking out the cmos battery and leaving it for 15 mins.

Single channel and sky high latency is killing the performance of the cpu.
I have tried it with dual 8 gb sticks and i still get the same issue.
Sinlge channel has nothing to do with this.... It wont stop your system from posting only make it slower then a sloth.... Your issue. Probably lays with the bios/mobo. If new ram and gpu cause the same thing i would highly doubt the cpu to be at fault.
max temp of 56°C average of 46°c and min of 31°c.

Tells me the board isn't controling the power right again even with turbo of these temps should be avging 64ish min "underload ofcourse"

Apr 22, 2021
Sinlge channel has nothing to do with this.... It wont stop your system from posting only make it slower then a sloth.... Your issue. Probably lays with the bios/mobo. If new ram and gpu cause the same thing i would highly doubt the cpu to be at fault.
max temp of 56°C average of 46°c and min of 31°c.

Tells me the board isn't controling the power right again even with turbo of these temps should be avging 64ish min "underload ofcourse"
So you would be confident to rule out that the GPU RAM and CPU are fuulty?

Reactions: white.a.drew
Apr 22, 2021
I am, from everything thats been explained and the way this is playing out with your system it has to be the mobo
During the day i have unplugged anything that draws power and inputs it from the mobo including the cmos battery and taken out the NVME M.2. The problem continued to happen so I was also thinking it might be the mobo but i am unsure of how to proceed from here.

Apr 22, 2021
Couple of questioms are you in the us? How long ago was the purchase and from where did you buy the mobo?
I am not in the US. I purchased the system as a pre built custom system as i couldn't reliably source my own part at a better price than they were offering. I received the PC yesterday and I bought it from memorypc.