[SOLVED] System Randomly Rebooting

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
I posted this on another forum, this is the backstory of things...
Relevant Build Specs:
CPU:
i7 4790k + H60 water cooling
GPU: Nvidia 1080 Founders Edition
PSU: Cosair CX 750M
Stock, no OC.

In July my PC randomly shut off (Windows Shutting Down) gracefully. I thought my girlfriend had her feet up on my computer and might have pushed down the power button for ~30 seconds or so. Upon trying to turn the PC back on, it would not turn on. Thought maybe somehow by holding the button she drew endless power? Is this the end for my lovely computer? Went over to Best Buy and picked up a replacement CX 750M by Cosair, same PSU I had in the system originally. Upon changing it out, life in the computer was back and I was ready to rock and roll. Moved across the country, Computer has been in the box since then pretty much and never did anything strenuous on it since.

Set up my computer the other night and hopped on FiveM/GTA5. First day had absolutely no issues. Second day, the computer randomly shut off then came back on a second later (as if it lost power). Reloaded into the game, same issue. Gave it a few minutes of poking around online, loaded back in into FiveM and it was fine, I was able to run around, etc. So maybe it cooled off in this time from an overheat? A few hours of Runescape + League (TFT) later, I figured that maybe it was just a GTA5/FiveM issue that caused it. Loaded into CS:GO and upon connecting to the server, system shut off instantly (Again as if it lost power) then turned back on. Loaded into CSGO 3 more times for the same result over and over.

Today I downloaded OCCT. I ran CPU test for a few minutes... no problems. I ran the GPU test for a few minutes.... no problems. Ran them together... no problems. The second I run the PSU test, system does the same thing as before and shuts down then reboots.

It seems like it is 100% a PSU issue (going to get a new one tomorrow) but the more I've read online, the more concerned I've made myself. Could the MOBO be shot, could it be another issue? Am I overheating?

CPU Max temps on CPUID while running OCCT and games have peaked at 75C.. though I know that i7 4790k runs pretty hot. Looking around online it looked like this was normal/safe. GPU sits at maybe 70 for a peak during OCCT.

Just looking for opinions/advice. I bought a PSU tester on amazon which will be here Tuesday. Still going to buy a new PSU tomorrow but want to know if maybe the stuff I explained happened in July has some type of impact or if I am just very unlucky and got a faulty PSU after a dead one.

--------

I went on to replace the CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, Cooler. Today while in CSGO it restarted again. The only things left to replace are the GPU and Case.

New setup:
CPU: i7 9700k + H60 water cooling
GPU: Nvidia 1080 Founders Edition
PSU: Cosair CX 750M
Stock, no OC.

Replaced the previous cooler and PSU with brand new ones (same model for easiest replacement/experience with them).

I am unable to figure out what the hell is wrong with this system. The only things left are GPU and Case, I've already thrown $1,000 into it.
  1. Could the outlet be faulty
  2. Could it simply be the power strip I'm on?
I have two weeks to return all the new parts, so trying to solve this before that $1,000 goes to waste and I have no solution what so ever.

Thank you all so much in advance for the help/advice. Event Viewer simply reads "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

To add, GF and I both have PCs on the same wall (not same socket). Maybe we are simply using too much and simulating a brown out? Hers does not go down however, only mine.

Just survived a 5 minute PSU OCCT test with her stuff off...

Last edited:
Solution
I understand what you are saying of the PSU tester, but this is now my third PSU.
Yes which is why I'd be less likely to thing it is indeed the PSU unless the PSU was poor quality, the CXM isn't the best, but it's decent.

The keyboard could be causing a concern, yes less likely, but it's happened before, so you can never really rule anything out. I had a mouse that caused problems somewhat similar in the past.

I'd sooner go down the route of testing the GPU with another or with the GPU removed entirely.
Usually with random restarts, once software and firmware has been eliminated, I tend to find it goes PSU > GPU > RAM > MB.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is the CXM your getting grey label or green label?

I'd be tempted to run on different outlets for a period of time, there is every possibility that using the same outlet could result in some power draw issues.

What PSU tester have you bought? Always have to take them with a pinch of salt really. You're usually just better off with a multimeter.

Presumably your RAM is all from the same pack too?
I'd also remove the GPU and try and run on integrated to see if the issue persists.

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is the CXM your getting grey label or green label?

I'd be tempted to run on different outlets for a period of time, there is every possibility that using the same outlet could result in some power draw issues.

What PSU tester have you bought? Always have to take them with a pinch of salt really. You're usually just better off with a multimeter.

Presumably your RAM is all from the same pack too?
I'd also remove the GPU and try and run on integrated to see if the issue persists.

Thank you for the reply!

The CXM is a grey label.

I tried using the next outlet over for my computer, and having my girlfriend shut her PC for a bit. A few minutes into nomansky the random restart happened.

The PSU tester I bought was the one found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UZHB6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My build as of today is here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mdscZR

Last night overnight, somehow my bios reset from rev f10 to f8. This is a brand new mother board, CPU, water cooler aio, PSU. (Same type of PSU/Water Cooler just a new one from the store).

I did not buy it all together. I do have a 1060 laying around I can test in the system to see if I get the same issues, but I have this wonder/worry that maybe electrical issues on this socket are brown-outing my system and damaging all the hardware? (Or is this not really possible given what I am describing and I should not worry of this).

So far I've thrown in $1,000 for the new mother board, CPU, water cooler aio, PSU and I am still having random restarts in games, and sometimes during the PSU test. I will note that after changing from the old 4790k, previous MOBO, previous AIO cooler, RAM that I am not instantly crashing from the PSU tester in OCCT.

I have not reinstalled windows, I force installed new drivers upon hardware changes, as I would not like to have to reconfigure everything, but could this be software related?

I still do not understand the bios rev rolling back to f8 from f10 last night, beyond me.

Windows + 1080 FE are up to date driver/update wise as of right now.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have not reinstalled windows, I force installed new drivers upon hardware changes, as I would not like to have to reconfigure everything, but could this be software related?
It certainly can be - and firmware.
The BIOS revert is odd ... which is raising my eyebrow a bit.

Go into Start > Reliability History and post a screenshot, see if there is anything abnormal asides the sudden restart.

I would try the different GPU and see if the issue persists. It'd also be worthy seeing if the case could be causing a short somewhere.

The problem with the PSU testers is they only test voltages with no or minimal load, when many faulty PSUs only begin to faulter when load is induced (thus why you only encounter it under stress), and not all of them are in line with the 5% tolerance on each rail.

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Cannot post the SS. Going to try and do it in a seperate post.

Corsair.Service is the iCUE for my keyboard. (My keyboard has been having an odd issue where keys repeat, but I cannot believe that, that is causing the system problems but maybe I'm wrong?)

I understand what you are saying of the PSU tester, but this is now my third PSU.

edit:
When you say the BIOS resetting is raising your eye brow, what is coming to mind?

Could this be a GPU issue? Or what are your other thoughts // am I just exceedingly unlucky.

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
qtillip.png

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes which is why I'd be less likely to thing it is indeed the PSU unless the PSU was poor quality, the CXM isn't the best, but it's decent.

The keyboard could be causing a concern, yes less likely, but it's happened before, so you can never really rule anything out. I had a mouse that caused problems somewhat similar in the past.

I'd sooner go down the route of testing the GPU with another or with the GPU removed entirely.
Usually with random restarts, once software and firmware has been eliminated, I tend to find it goes PSU > GPU > RAM > MB.

Solution

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Alright, I'll give the GPU a test. Any thoughts on what the hell could cause the bios to reset just overnight? I unplugged my system to move sockets, only change.

Also what will a multimeter tell me? I have no electrician experience what so ever, so that is a bit over my head.

If I am drawing too much power, am I potentially posing risk to my hardware at this point in stress tests, etc or as long as my temps aren't going too wild, I should be OK?

I will note I had the original CXM in my system for ~3.5 years before this and did a hell of a lot more then just try to run 1 game with NO problems. It might be worth adding I moved across the country recently, so maybe the electrical is done different here (or my gpu took a beating hanging there in the car as I did not detach it while driving down).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Any thoughts on what the hell could cause the bios to reset just overnight?
I may have missed if you put what MB you have, so without knowing your MB I'm speculating, but If I were to guess, it could be dual BIOS, and when a BIOS becomes corrupted, it will revert to the previous one on the dual backup.

Also what will a multimeter tell me? I have no electrician experience what so ever, so that is a bit over my head.
Effectively exactly the same as the PSU tester. You just test each rail of the PSU and check that it meets the rail output +/5%. The PSU tester will basically do the exact same.

If I am drawing too much power, am I potentially posing risk to my hardware at this point in stress tests, etc or as long as my temps aren't going too wild, I should be OK?
Potentially, but it depends on the nature. If for example your components are poorly suited together and to top it off you also have it drawing from a poor quality PSU, then you definitely have risk, I see this less in your case, especially if you aren't overclocking.

It might be worth adding I moved across the country recently, so maybe the electrical is done different here
That could be useful info, and did the restarts only occur after this move?
Really modern PSUs will have PFC as well as other features to automatically regulate the power.

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Here are all the parts in my system as of today:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mdscZR

Not sure how the BIOS could corrupt, I did fail to boot twice prior to this however! (Not sure if relevant, maybe there is something if the system fails to boot it rolls back updates? No idea).

I am not overclocking at all, I am just wondering if I have any risk just plugging in new hardware if that's possible.

Yes, it did start after I moved. But the original issue started way back when I was back home... the original shutdown and first dead PSU. I had not done anything besides passive work on my PC, so nothing strenuous like a game.

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
When you say first dead, did the PSU absolutely fail? Or was it more a hunch and when you replaced it the issue went away?
Around this time last month, windows randomly gracefully shut down (like went through the shutdown process) and then would not turn back on. After replacing the PSU, it worked again, though after this I did nothing to strain the PC. If you read up on the first post, I explained a bit my thought process. The only thing that occurred JUST before shut down was my girlfriend put her feet on the power button for an extended period of time without realizing it. I doubt the two were connected at this point, but it's the only thing that occurred.

Not sure of the potential that she built up a static charge in my apartment, or something else. Though the system was plugged into the wall so anything like that "should" have been grounded.

===

EDIT:
The restarts only occur in games at this point. Yesterday the OCCT PSU test for 5 minutes wouldn't kick it, but ~2-3 minutes in NoManSky or CSGO and I was ready to kick my unit :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Just ordered a new SSD + GPU to pick up today, given there is a 14 day return policy, I'll have brand new hardware to test with instead of stressing out my GF that something is going to fry her card. Let me know what you think of the above whenever you get the chance.

I am going to have that SSD ready to install a new copy of Windows and move stuff over if need be.

Thanks again for the help.

tjbalon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Switched from 1080 FE to EVGA 2080. So far no problems, will report back in ~48 hours time to follow up. Trying to stress it the best I can with games, etc.