[SOLVED] System reboot after display resolution change

Oct 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my monitor since yesterday. More below:

So, I have an LG 29WK500-P ultrawide display. Yesterday my graphics card died so I replaced it with my previous one, a Radeon R7 360.
My problem is when I boot my PC and log in to Windows 10 the display's resolution is on 1920x1080. However if I open the display settings menu I have a visible and recommended native resolution (2560x1080).

As soon as I click on the mentioned native res. my PC restarts itself (Monitor says: No signal, entering power safe mode), but my resolution stays the same.
This restart problem persists all of the other resolution options, so I can change it whatever I want to, stays in 1920x1080.

What I've tried to do:
I used the R7 360 with this monitor for half a year so that's not the problem.
Fully reinstalled the proper drivers with DDU.
Different cables.

EDIT: I have a 2 monitor setup. The secondary one is a 1920x1080 and it's connected to the same graphics card. When I try to change its resolution the dialog box shows up and offers the 'Keep changes' and 'Revert' choices. The primary display rather restarts the PC somehow.

I hope someone can come up with a solution,
Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
What video drivers are you using? What cable are you using? 2560 is the max you can go with DVI, so if you are using DVI, you might want to try HDMI instead.
Oct 29, 2019
Radeon R7 360
https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-r7-360-100388ntoc-2l/p/N82E16814202196

System Requirements:
500W Power Supply (Suggestion)
1 x 6-pin AUX Power Connector

You may have problems from using inadequate power supplies. They can give a variety of problematic symptoms.

I used the r7 for almost 4 years with a 400w psu and it was nowhere near to maximum usage. My other card was an rx 570 and it was more than fine until now.

I checked the motherboard --> monitor connection and the resolution was the native so it's fine with that.

I assume the problem comes from the gpu but as I said the secondary display is perfect with it.

Oct 29, 2019
What video drivers are you using? What cable are you using? 2560 is the max you can go with DVI, so if you are using DVI, you might want to try HDMI instead.

Yes, 2560x1080 is the max.
I have a DVI-HDMI and an HDMI-HDMI. With the DVI I can't even see the option to change to 2560. It only show up with HDMI.
I use the most recent amd driver and it's compatible with this card.

To sum up:
If a driver is installed and using DVI -> can't see the 2560 option
If a driver is installed and using HDMI -> can see the 2560 option but the system reboots
If no driver is installed and using DVI or HDMI -> can see the 2560 option and can change to it but as soon as the installation is in progress the resolution switches and here I am again at 1920.

Oct 29, 2019
Solution maybe for the R7 360.
I installed 19.1.2 Adrenalin driver which came out around '19 January and I could switch to 2560x1080.

AMD's website says the most recent driver with the R7 is ok but it looks like something denies the ultrawide with this series.

Oct 29, 2019
UPDATE:
I bought another HDMI cable, updated the newest Adrenalin and it runs perfectly.
What's the reason behind this? The old HDMI worked in the past.

Huge thank you for all of you for the help. :)