[SOLVED] System rebooting when gaming

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Recently upgraded to a 9900kf CPU from 8600k.
Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus Motherboard
16 GB Trident Gskill DDR
Corsair 4000x RGB case
Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX AIO cooler
ASUS TUF 3070 RTX
Corsair 750w PS 80Gold

I am experiencing reboots when gaming. My temperatures are fine never go over 75C
It seems to occur when transitioning scenes, or when launching a game. It has happened when playing Cyberpunk, or when entering into a game on Battlefront 2. Once the game launches it reboots. Not all the time its random but always in game. I have DDU drivers, tracked temps, made sure iCue software was set to not reboot PC based on temperature threshold.

I have updated my BIOS.

Is it possible my 750w PS isnt enough? Or is my motherboard really not a good match for the i9? My CPU idles at 4.8 GHZ im thinking because of my XMP profile, and or power management in windows.

Im at a loss and thinking its either a spike in demand for power from my GPU and my PS cant supply, or my motherboard isn't up to snuff to run this CPU.

My PS is about a year old. And a decent one.

Solution
on further review this issue has not been solved. Reboots have been happening again while playing Cyberpunk. So this is ether insufficient PSU, or Motherboard. I know my ASUS z370 TUG gaming Plus is entry level and only supports a 9900k with a BIOS update but it should support it. Its possible i guess when running a demanding game like Cyberpunk my Motherboard VRM cant handle it?
You should try my earlier suggestion of reducing the power limit to the GPU. It will mean your graphics card won't boost its clock speed as high and will use less power. If this results in no reboots during gameplay then it would suggest the problem lies with the PSU.
Recently upgraded to a 9900kf CPU from 8600k.
Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus Motherboard
16 GB Trident Gskill DDR
Corsair 4000x RGB case
Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX AIO cooler
ASUS TUF 3070 RTX
Corsair 750w PS 80Gold

I am experiencing reboots when gaming. My temperatures are fine never go over 75C
It seems to occur when transitioning scenes, or when launching a game. It has happened when playing Cyberpunk, or when entering into a game on Battlefront 2. Once the game launches it reboots. Not all the time its random but always in game. I have DDU drivers, tracked temps, made sure iCue software was set to not reboot PC based on temperature threshold.

I have updated my BIOS.

Is it possible my 750w PS isnt enough? Or is my motherboard really not a good match for the i9? My CPU idles at 4.8 GHZ im thinking because of my XMP profile, and or power management in windows.

Im at a loss and thinking its either a spike in demand for power from my GPU and my PS cant supply, or my motherboard isn't up to snuff to run this CPU.

My PS is about a year old. And a decent one.
An easy test to do, use MSI Afterburner to reduce the power limit to the GPU. 15% should do. See if the system still restarts. If this fixes it time for a better PSU.

Can you try running Cinebench and see if the system restarts. I’m a little sceptical of that motherboard properly running a power heavy cpu like the 9900kf.
The CPU voltage regulator circuit of the ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING has 7 phases for the CPU. The voltage regulator uses a Digi+ ASP1400BT controller chip (digital design). Each phase uses two or three MOSFETs, models Vishay SiRA12DP and Vishay SiRA14DP.

The ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING uses solid capacitors (5K Black capacitors) and the coils on this motherboard are ferrite ones with military level certification.

Do you think that is enough for 9900kf?

Reactions: snostorm100

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
The CPU voltage regulator circuit of the ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING has 7 phases for the CPU. The voltage regulator uses a Digi+ ASP1400BT controller chip (digital design). Each phase uses two or three MOSFETs, models Vishay SiRA12DP and Vishay SiRA14DP.

The ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING uses solid capacitors (5K Black capacitors) and the coils on this motherboard are ferrite ones with military level certification.

Do you think that is enough for 9900kf?

FWIW it is running latest BIOS. The reboots seem GPU related. If I where to guess it seems like power spike....or draw from the GPU that initiates the reboot. It happened when transitioning from the load screen to gameplay in BF 2. Once the game started rendering. When playing cyberpunk it rebooted when transitioning from a cut scene to gameplay. I can stress the CPU in CPUz all 16 threads without issue.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
i had some sudden and unexplained restart problems after a mobo change. in my case it was the cable that connected the mobo to the case's reset button that shorted out when the pc was under load and triggered a reset. disconnecting the cable solved the problem. try doing that too you never know

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Have you tried testing your ram with memtest86?
I have not. Its an idea however im not thinking its a RAM issue. Its either my motherboard not being up to snuff, or my PSU. Before I upgraded my CPU I was running the 3070 in the same motherboard with an 8600k at 4.2GHZ in my old case without issue. I bought a new case Corsair 4000x RGB installed the CPU in the motherboard, new AIO. I have checked all power connectors to ensure they are seated properly.

The fan RGB controller that comes with the case has SATA connection so there is increase power draw compared to my old system. But not much I would gather. So Im running 4 RGB fans not including the RGB fans on the AIO. Not really sure how much of an impact all this stuff has on my PSU. When I upgraded my PSU a year ago I got a Corsair 750W for more head room. All the PSU calculators say I could get by with 550w PSU but I dont know how accurate they are.

Cinebench, CPUz stress tests are fine. Temps fine.

I need to make best decision...new PSU or MoBo. I guess new PSU is best first course of action.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
I have not. Its an idea however im not thinking its a RAM issue. Its either my motherboard not being up to snuff, or my PSU. Before I upgraded my CPU I was running the 3070 in the same motherboard with an 8600k at 4.2GHZ in my old case without issue. I bought a new case Corsair 4000x RGB installed the CPU in the motherboard, new AIO. I have checked all power connectors to ensure they are seated properly.

The fan RGB controller that comes with the case has SATA connection so there is increase power draw compared to my old system. But not much I would gather. So Im running 4 RGB fans not including the RGB fans on the AIO. Not really sure how much of an impact all this stuff has on my PSU. When I upgraded my PSU a year ago I got a Corsair 750W for more head room. All the PSU calculators say I could get by with 550w PSU but I dont know how accurate they are.

Cinebench, CPUz stress tests are fine. Temps fine.

I need to make best decision...new PSU or MoBo. I guess new PSU is best first course of action.
I doubt it's PSU related. Check your connections and test ram, it might be corrupting your drive.
have my doubts about the PSU as well. One thing I noticed in iCue there is a setting in notifications that turns the PC off when hitting a threshhold of 70 C. I have noticed before the max cooling kicks in i get spikes of temp up to 70C before the AIO kicks in. But its set to the temp of the liquid in the AIO and that never gets that high. Will do Memtest tonight to rule that out.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Can you try not using icue software and run your pc through a benchmark loop.

I certainly can....if I knew exactly what a benchmark loop was...lol. Im assuming to be relevant it would have to be a GPU intensive benchmark considering my circumstance. I have 3dmark but not sure I can loop it. Welcome suggestion on how to perform this.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Leaning towards my Motherboard as the culprit. My PSU RM750x should have no problem supplying adequate power based on every PSU calculator I have tried. My motherboard isnt a high end z370 which launched prior to the I9 series release.

Im currently thinking a z390 might be what I need to properly house this power hungry chip and allow it to stretch its legs.

But a decent one. would welcome recommendations.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Well...being vexed as to how to proceed I think I might actually be on to something. Certainly an increase in power draw upgrading to a 9900k I had no issue with the PSU when it was running my 8600k. My PSU..RM750x gold is enough but why am I having power issue. Its a year old. I realized that I only have one PCIe cable supplying both 8 pin connectors on my GPU daisy chained. I just assumed if all the pins had a place im good. But this is limiting as there is only so much power that will go through the cable regardless of how many pins it can fill. Im gonna fetch the other cable and give each connection its own supply instead of daisy chain and see if that solves my issue.

Well...being vexed as to how to proceed I think I might actually be on to something. Certainly an increase in power draw upgrading to a 9900k I had no issue with the PSU when it was running my 8600k. My PSU..RM750x gold is enough but why am I having power issue. Its a year old. I realized that I only have one PCIe cable supplying both 8 pin connectors on my GPU daisy chained. I just assumed if all the pins had a place im good. But this is limiting as there is only so much power that will go through the cable regardless of how many pins it can fill. Im gonna fetch the other cable and give each connection its own supply instead of daisy chain and see if that solves my issue.
Worth a try I guess I know people like to use two seperate cables. I'm just using one for my 3070 and it seems to work fine.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Im not ready to claim victory yet....but so far I have had no system reboots. A lengthy session of Cyberpunk should confirm. Retrieved the secondary PCI e cable for my PSU and now I have both 8 pin connectors on my GPU with their own cables.

Reactions: Flayed