[SOLVED] System rebooting when gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Recently upgraded to a 9900kf CPU from 8600k.
Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus Motherboard
16 GB Trident Gskill DDR
Corsair 4000x RGB case
Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX AIO cooler
ASUS TUF 3070 RTX
Corsair 750w PS 80Gold

I am experiencing reboots when gaming. My temperatures are fine never go over 75C
It seems to occur when transitioning scenes, or when launching a game. It has happened when playing Cyberpunk, or when entering into a game on Battlefront 2. Once the game launches it reboots. Not all the time its random but always in game. I have DDU drivers, tracked temps, made sure iCue software was set to not reboot PC based on temperature threshold.

I have updated my BIOS.

Is it possible my 750w PS isnt enough? Or is my motherboard really not a good match for the i9? My CPU idles at 4.8 GHZ im thinking because of my XMP profile, and or power management in windows.

Im at a loss and thinking its either a spike in demand for power from my GPU and my PS cant supply, or my motherboard isn't up to snuff to run this CPU.

My PS is about a year old. And a decent one.

Solution
on further review this issue has not been solved. Reboots have been happening again while playing Cyberpunk. So this is ether insufficient PSU, or Motherboard. I know my ASUS z370 TUG gaming Plus is entry level and only supports a 9900k with a BIOS update but it should support it. Its possible i guess when running a demanding game like Cyberpunk my Motherboard VRM cant handle it?
You should try my earlier suggestion of reducing the power limit to the GPU. It will mean your graphics card won't boost its clock speed as high and will use less power. If this results in no reboots during gameplay then it would suggest the problem lies with the PSU.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Im not ready to claim victory yet....but so far I have had no system reboots. A lengthy session of Cyberpunk should confirm. Retrieved the secondary PCI e cable for my PSU and now I have both 8 pin connectors on my GPU with their own cables.
SO far so good. No reboots, stable temps. I feel I should have known better than to use one PCIe dual 6+2 connector from my PSU. I'm lucky I didn't fry anything.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
It is strange though I mean it can only be pulling 190 to 200W through the PCIe combined as 75W is from the slot. I would have thought that would be fine.
It is strange though I mean it can only be pulling 190 to 200W through the PCIe combined as 75W is from the slot. I would have thought that would be fine.
Apparently the ASUS TUF 3070OC can hit 429W power draw. My guess is I wasn't pulling enough power from the one PCie x 2 6+2 cable. Coupled with my 9900k it became unstable and rebooted. Been gaming all weekend with no reboots. That was definitely it.

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
on further review this issue has not been solved. Reboots have been happening again while playing Cyberpunk. So this is ether insufficient PSU, or Motherboard. I know my ASUS z370 TUG gaming Plus is entry level and only supports a 9900k with a BIOS update but it should support it. Its possible i guess when running a demanding game like Cyberpunk my Motherboard VRM cant handle it?

You should try my earlier suggestion of reducing the power limit to the GPU. It will mean your graphics card won't boost its clock speed as high and will use less power. If this results in no reboots during gameplay then it would suggest the problem lies with the PSU.

Solution

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
you are correct sir.....15 percent reduction inm power to GPU fixed it. My PSU is not enough which is amazing as its a decent one. RM750x corsair. Gonne get a new PSU .

Last edited:
Reactions: Flayed

snostorm100

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Thanks for you input. Thing is I kept seeing so many threads upon search that indicated a 750w should be enough. Search PSU requirements for a 3070 and you will never see anyone suggest you will need an 850w PSU. I upgraded to an EVGA 850w GA PSU and a Gigabyte z390 AORUS ELITE and it is most definitely a better platform to house my 9900KF. My VRM was at 94C on load with my Z370 TUF Gaming plus. My thermals are much better since upgrading .