System reset when gaming/GPU stress testing, but is GPU definitely the problem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 18, 2019
Hello all,

In 2017, I built a mini-gaming rig for my spouse. (Please refer to the bottom of this message for complete list of components used.)
Every component is still within its warranty except for the 980 Ti GPU, which was bought in the Summer of 2015, initially part of my old rig.

The gaming rig had been working perfectly since it was first built.
It's seldom used except for checking e-mails and playing games.
Nothing is overlocked it's not really used for long periods of time.
The OS and BIOS is up-to-date. There's no malware or virus to speak of.
Drivers are all up-to-date. There's no dust.
I have 10 years+ experience building rigs.

For the last couple of months she's been playing Battlefield 1.
There have been zero performance issues to speak of.

2 days ago, when she tried to play Battlefield, the PC suddenly reset roughly 2 minutes after she'd loaded into a server.
There was no warning. No BSOD. No error message. No minidump.

There were a few errors in the Event Viewer, but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary.
They were "DistributedCOM" Event ID: 10016 errors, such as:

XML:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection
 and APPID 
Unavailable
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
Windows.SecurityCenter.SecurityAppBroker
 and APPID 
Unavailable
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager
 and APPID 
Unavailable

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
 and APPID 
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
 to the user MALWINE\Malwine SID (S-1-5-21-2893702971-324590147-2545585346-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
 and APPID 
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Giving those services permissions did not fix anything.

So, naturally, my first thought was the check the temperatures.
When I checked the temps, everything seemed normal.
I kept monitoring the temps when starting up BF1 and nothing was out of the ordinary.
In fact - and probably due to not overclocking - the temps were very good.
The CPU remained in the 40c's under load and the GPU didn't get too hot either averaging about 60c - sometimes less - again, everything at stock.
Still, once I got into game, I could play for maybe 2-3 minutes and then the PC would suddenly reset without any error message.

Wondering if it was limited to Battlefield, I tried some benchmark programs like 3DMark and RealBench.
Both reset the PC after a few seconds-minutes. There were no voltage spikes or high temps or anything, though.
My research led me to believe that it could be the PSU, but I'm not sure. Everything is pointing toward the GPU.

Prime95, AIDA64, IntelBurnTest, and OCCT (currently been running OCCT for over an hour) haven't caused any issues/error messages.
Neither has Cinebench15. All of them have ran from start to finish without resetting the machine. And temps can be seen here:

If I don't go into game, I can use the PC, seemingly, just fine. Videos and music play fine, too.
I have also made sure that everything was connected properly inside the rig - it was. There's no dust or anything.

I'm going to run one or two more tests just to rule out something like RAM (memtest85), but I'm confident it's either the GPU or PSU.

Question is, would anybody be able to help me pinpoint the exact cause? Perhaps it ISN'T a hardware issue, but something else?
Also, seeing as the PSU is still within its warranty, I'm not too worried about replacing it.
However, if it's the GPU, I'll have to buy a brand new one - 980Ti didn't come cheap!
I'd like to see if there's anything else I can do just to be sure at this point.

------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel i5-6500 @ 3.20GHz
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12S
Motherboard: Gigabyte H270N-WIFI-CF
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
PSU: Corsair CX550M PSU
MONITOR: ASUS VN248
CASE: Fractal Design Node 304

Version: 1809
OS build: 17763.253

NVIDIA Driver Version: 417.71
All other drivers up-to-date via Drive Easy
BIOS: F8d (latest)
AV: Windows Defender

Solution

That would be a problem. :D

You could pull the MB out of the case and hook it all up that way, but that's a bit of work.

Best just to get a new GPU and be done with it, and throw that old PSU in the garbage.

Not sure who recommended it to you in the 1st place for that system, but it was a mistake from the start. I am surprised that it lasted that long before something happened.

High end GPU's and budget PSU's are never a good mix, nothing that is good ever happens in the end.
Jan 18, 2019
Well, thanks. I'll leave this thread open until I've confirmed the new GPU works.
The 980Ti was into its fourth year, so well past its warranty. Probably as simple as that. It served me well.

Was a great GPU, should have lasted a lot longer though, a few more years I would say.

I had GPU's that were 7 years old and still ran fine, still have a few of them that I haven't trashed yet.

Jan 18, 2019
jankerson, would the Seasonic PSU be suitable for a mini RTX 2060 or even a mini 1080 GPU on a GA-H270N-WIFI motherboard, or would you say the GPU would require an even more powerful PSU and higher quality motherboard to be on the safe side?

That PSU will handle anything including an RTX 2080Ti so I think you will be fine.

The MB is fine.

The only difference would be if you moved away from the ITX and went with one of the higher end Z390 MB's that take 2x CPU power connections.

Then it would take the 750W vers that has those connections.

Jan 18, 2019
So I'm pleased to report that the new RTX 2060 (along with the new Seasonic PSU) solved the issue. No system reset when gaming - tested for 5-6 hours. Thank you, all.