[SOLVED] System restarts instantly with no warning.

FloppyPankakez

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020
Hello, I'm in a bit of hot water here. I just built my pc yesterday amd I was able to install windows, some software like steam and discord, and a benchmark software (novabench). No problems there, even when benchmarking the system. I decided to test how the system would do in a game of CS:GO, loaded into the menu fine, started a game with bots fine, but after a couple seconds of me moving around, it just shuts down like I unplugged the power cord. It has done this every time, with different length of gameplay each time, but all under a minute. My biggest suspicion is something is wrong with the motherboard, as the bios will randomly change lettering to Chinese and when I open a sub menu, if I move my mouse over the background, it leaves a trail/updates to what the background should be looking like. My power supply should have enough power for the whole system, and I dont really want to replace anything as i dont have the money right now. I have yet to do any tests besides the benchmark as I have been busy

SUSPICIONS: Motherboard, Bad install of windows, Bad RAM, CPU Overheat (unlikely)

SPECS:
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS
Processor: Intel i-5 9400F
RAM: 2x8 corsair DDR4
GPU: XFX Fatboy
PSU: Corsair CX750
(There may be little variation to the parts as I dont know the exact parts (FATBOY OC?) But everything is 98% correct. Please help as I have no other computer :,(

Solution
Shutdowns like that, normally relate to the PSU having issues.

Although your current PSU has a high power output, that doesn't necessarily make a PSU a 'good' one. With that said, the CX isn't a bad PSU. How old is it? Those CX's have a 3 year warranty. If it's gone beyond that in age, it could very well have failed or be failing. It's happening when your system is at load (gaming) and the PSU is shutting down to protect the system. The PSU may not be providing enough power to run the system properly.

I'd start there.

Although your current PSU has a high power output, that doesn't necessarily make a PSU a 'good' one. With that said, the CX isn't a bad PSU. How old is it? Those CX's have a 3 year warranty. If it's gone beyond that in age, it could very well have failed or be failing. It's happening when your system is at load (gaming) and the PSU is shutting down to protect the system. The PSU may not be providing enough power to run the system properly.

I'd start there.

Solution

FloppyPankakez

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020

I'd start there.

Is there any way that I could test if it is the power supply without having to send it in anywhere? I dont really have time to send it anywhere before I go back home but if it is 100% the power supply then I guess I'll just have to live with it.

TRENDING THREADS