Question System Restore error 0x8007045b or 0x80070026

nonexicted

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2015
So I'm trying to do a system restore but I get an 0x8007045b error. I've tried the:
  1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
  2. Restart BITS and other Windows Update Components Manually.
  3. Clear the SoftwareDistribution Folder.
  4. Perform SFC and DISM Scans.
  5. Perform a Clean Boot.
  6. reagentc /boottore and run System Restore from there.
  7. Reset PC
  8. I'm in the middle of doing an "Upgrade my PC" from the Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

None of these has worked and when I do the 6th one I get the 0x80070026.

Any ideas what else I can do, besides re-installing W10 to my computer?

I'm running W10 Pro, 64bit, desktop PC

1262f585-6bab-4cbb-9ba7-35d063698e95

4: kd> !error 0x80070026
Error code: (HRESULT) 0x80070026 (2147942438) - Reached the end of the file.
4: kd> !error 0x8007045b
Error code: (HRESULT) 0x8007045b (2147943515) - A system shutdown is in progress.

well, here are what the error codes mean. if it helps
Maybe a pending update reboot?

0x8007045b for system restore has different meaning than BSOD error code
its due to file encryption

this one is from microsoft:
if any file is being encrypted by EFS in the restore point, the System Restore program will have to call in to the EFS service to extract files of this kind from the restore point. But because the EFS service is already stopped and cannot be restarted because the system is being shutting down, the restoration process fails with error code 0x8007045b. This code means ERROR_SHUTDOWN_IN_PROGRESS.

workaround, reboot to WinRE (windows recovery)
open command line
type:
reagentc /boottore
after reboor youll be in winre

as far as i can tell you already got to this part, but now youre receiving error 0x80070026 which suggest you have corrupted files, that means system restore point is corrupted

at this point DISM should be able to repair your windows, have you tryed offline repair from wim/esd image?
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

nonexicted

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2015
0x8007045b for system restore has different meaning than BSOD error code
its due to file encryption

this one is from microsoft:
if any file is being encrypted by EFS in the restore point, the System Restore program will have to call in to the EFS service to extract files of this kind from the restore point. But because the EFS service is already stopped and cannot be restarted because the system is being shutting down, the restoration process fails with error code 0x8007045b. This code means ERROR_SHUTDOWN_IN_PROGRESS.

workaround, reboot to WinRE (windows recovery)
open command line
type:
reagentc /boottore
after reboor youll be in winre

as far as i can tell you already got to this part, but now youre receiving error 0x80070026 which suggest you have corrupted files, that means system restore point is corrupted

at this point DISM should be able to repair your windows, have you tryed offline repair from wim/esd image?
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Yes I did try the DISM, which was doing its thing fine, with no problems, repairing everything if it found errors, but I was still getting the 0x8007045b error when doing a test System Restore.

Yesterday I was about to do an Upgrade PC through the Media Creation Tool but I stopped it because it worried me that it might "clean up" my files and I hadn't backed up anything.

I'm thinking that formatting will be the end result in all this.

Yes I did try the DISM, which was doing its thing fine, with no problems, repairing everything if it found errors, but I was still getting the 0x8007045b error when doing a test System Restore.

Yesterday I was about to do an Upgrade PC through the Media Creation Tool but I stopped it because it worried me that it might "clean up" my files and I hadn't backed up anything.

I'm thinking that formatting will be the end result in all this.
dism doesnt repair system restore backups, those are already broken, you can delete them and create new backup