Question System restore point

Trancegotten

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
So hello to all i have one question if i create system restore point on win 10 and i have installed Gta V and some other games if something happend to my windows and they lagging and not working good i can use that restore point i have created and i will go back so i will not lose something for example the games and personal datas pictures and all that right ?

And something else how much % (present) the disk need i have not touching and it have 4% (10 GB) is that good ? and if i create restore point should i delete that ? (and after create it ) ?? thanks for help if anyone will help me (sry for bad english).

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
No. It's that simple.

People misunderstand System Protection and Restore Points. System Protection is about keeping operating system integrity and has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with user data. It is also notoriously unreliable (but great when it works to roll back recent installs of software).

However, using a restore point to roll back a recent installation of software will not touch your user data, so if you created new user data and decide to use a Restore Point to roll back the OS, it does not destroy any new user data you've created.

If you want a backup of your system, everything on your system, including your user data you must use a third-party backup and recovery solution like EaseUS To Do Backup, Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper or similar to take backups of your system to an external USB HDD or external USB SSD. Do not use USB thumb drives for system images if you care about being able to recover from same over the long term.

Colif

Win 11 Master
System restore more handy if you create a new restore point and install drivers, as if they don't work so well, you can run system restore to roll system back to how it was before drivers.

Its more useful for short term saves, the longer the time between now and when its created means more changes it might not recognise. Windows uses it mainly to create a restore point before updates so you can roll back if need be.

It won't help with games, as it doesn't save that info.

All system restore points are wiped after a version update is installed, so it is not an escape route from those.

Above showed better way to Backup info.

Last edited:

Trancegotten

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
System restore more handy if you create a new restore point and install drivers, as if they don't work so well, you can run system restore to roll system back to how it was before drivers.

Its more useful for short term saves, the longer the time between now and when its created means more changes it might not recognise. Windows uses it mainly to create a restore point before updates so you can roll back if need be.

All system restore points are wiped after a version update is installed, so it is not an escape route from those.

for example if i delete something from the regedit and the pc is not working properly you just go back previous from the system restore you have created right ? it will not save any games but it will fix the windows problem for example on the regedit.
if i want to save all my windows and games and all data what i have to do like the other guy said up third party ???

Trancegotten

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
No. It's that simple.

People misunderstand System Protection and Restore Points. System Protection is about keeping operating system integrity and has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with user data. It is also notoriously unreliable (but great when it works to roll back recent installs of software).

However, using a restore point to roll back a recent installation of software will not touch your user data, so if you created new user data and decide to use a Restore Point to roll back the OS, it does not destroy any new user data you've created.

If you want a backup of your system, everything on your system, including your user data you must use a third-party backup and recovery solution like EaseUS To Do Backup, Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper or similar to take backups of your system to an external USB HDD or external USB SSD. Do not use USB thumb drives for system images if you care about being able to recover from same over the long term.
i understand if you can please read what i just said up and btw if i want to do that save all games data and win what program you suggest me to do that ?

Trancegotten

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019

And btw how much present is good to put or should i not touching that is 4% (10GB) i didn't touch it should i increase it or it's okay by deafult ? (this is on the C drive main drive if i press settings how much it use for the new drivers and delete the olders you know what i mean.

Colif

Win 11 Master
for example if i delete something from the regedit and the pc is not working properly you just go back previous from the system restore you have created right ? it will not save any games but it will fix the windows problem for example on the regedit.
if i want to save all my windows and games and all data what i have to do like the other guy said up third party ???

That would be one use for system restore.
there is backup function built into windows - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4027408/windows-10-backup-and-restore

And btw how much present is good to put or should i not touching that is 4% (10GB) i didn't touch it should i increase it or it's okay by deafult ? (this is on the C drive main drive if i press settings how much it use for the new drivers and delete the olders you know what i mean.

I just leave mine as default. I don't think system restore points are very big

Trancegotten

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
That would be one use for system restore.
there is backup function built into windows - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4027408/windows-10-backup-and-restore

I just leave mine as default. I don't think system restore points are very big
Yes you are right you can do it from the windows but if i want to keep on my games and all that and pictures and other programs like sony vegas photoshop it will keep it ?????

and something else last thing i found this youtube video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvTbWHZI85A

and it says on the end on second 4:45 he delete that this video is to clean the pc if i delete it will be good for the pc ? what do you think should i do it ?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Colif,

It is very important to note, though, that File History is strictly a user data backup program. I use it and love it, but it is not a substitute for a full system image backup utility in any way, shape, or form.

Even though you didn't mention it, I will mention the Windows built-in Backup & Restore utility only to say, "don't use it." It wasn't ever anything close to the best to begin with, and Microsoft announced it was deprecated all the way back at Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update). See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up under System Image Backup (SIB) Solution. [which is the core component of Backup & Recovery (Windows 7)].

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would use one of the 3rd party backup programs britechguy suggested. MIght need to watch a few videos to see how they work.

I know system restore is being phased out, its why its not as easy to find now compared to previous versions. It is the last thing I would use to rely on, its not much of a safety net. I remember in past, I would try it and see if it helps, but most times I would need to clean install to fix my messes.

TRENDING THREADS