System restore will not open

Nicolaitans

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hello,
My system restore won't open. The OS on my computer is windows 7. After installing winzip from the internet, some icons of some programs on my desktop has faded, and clicking them gives the message "choose the program you want to use to open this file." I tried to do a system restore, but it does not open when i click it, even in safe mode. i did a virus scan with my mcafee antivirus plus but it does not detect any issues and my malwarebytes antimalware icon is also faded and won't open. Please can anybody help me?

ram1009

Distinguished
IMHO, you've been hit by some sophisticated malware that is preventing you from getting rid of it. Malwarebytes may be helpful if you have the paid version which comes with support. I have re-formatted in similar situations.

Nicolaitans

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I don't have the paid version of malwarebytes and the trial i installed isn't opening anymore. And I'm hard up now, after paying for hardware repairs couple of weeks earlier. Is reformatting the only option left? I got a system restore cd from my computer manufacturers, but the system never detects them.

Nicolaitans

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Well...guys, i have able to restore my computer through "Restart> F8> safe mode with command prompt > typed rstrui.exe> enter". I see that my icons have returned to their correct states. But does it mean that i don't have any viruses, malware, or whatever on my computer anymore? How can be sure that my computer is fully safe now? Does system restore remove every infection?