[SOLVED] System service exception BSOD's (previously thought to be solved, but persisting)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 27, 2020
Hello

I've been experiencing consistent BSOD's almost randomly for several months. I decided to look to these forums for help solving this issue a few months ago. The forum post and the replies, as well as the steps we took and the outcomes of those steps can be found here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/blue-screen-of-death-errors.3657226/?view=date

Overview of what we did:

The blue screens had caused audio driver issues (audio was completely disabled), and impaired files were found after running /sfc scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image/Restorehealth command. I created 5 dump files to offer as much information about the BSOD's as possible. Then, we updated any drivers that were suspect to the errors manually, and later updated my Windows 10 OS to 20H2. The audio driver problems were fixed (as far as I know, I thought there used to be an additional audio option, though), blue screens weren't occurring, and sfc scans and restore health brought up no errors, so I assumed the problem was fixed. Though now, blue screen errors are showing up again. I was then recommended to make a new post about the issue.

System info:

System model: OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70 (12 CPU's), ~3.7Ghz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
32 GB RAM

Because dump files were looked over last time, I'll post my current minidump files I have in regards to the BSOD's. As far as I know, they have all been SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tzRaJ9mmDXeISCubBBsrYWawEVVEg5VG/view?usp=sharing 12/2/20 BSOD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yInYI10e22G9LrCpG4yo87SL21ZPV1dn/view?usp=sharing 12/9/20 8:04pm BSOD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yInYI10e22G9LrCpG4yo87SL21ZPV1dn/view?usp=sharing 12/9/20 8:15pm BSOD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lHLUXqVfNayqmI95HpfHM4hgoGCNYQjW/view?usp=sharing 12/11/20 BSOD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hw5akCSvMjuZ6uo5uguVAdqOv9EZta9C/view?usp=sharing 12/17/20 BSOD

Some extra notes:

-I decided to hold off on running sfc scannow or restore health until the post was seen.
-Audio drivers are still in the same state as they were after the update; they still work right now.
-I never installed the cabinet files for the audio drivers in the previous post, because audio was working after the update.
-I have not run the hp support assistant since the most recent BSOD's. (The first time it was ran, it caused a BSOD. I ran it a second time later, with no notable results.) This is the link I was given to run it: https://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Hoping for the best, any constructive input toward solving the issue would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I can guess you get more errors. if the stick does cause 10k and stop testing, its a bad stick. If its in PC with 3 unknown sticks (in that we don't know if they good or not, you likely get more errors as 10k is way too many

I doubt you caused errors by removing the sticks.

Bad ram could have been reason for all your BSOD in the last 2 threads, it will show perfectly good drivers as bad, and once you replace drivers, move onto another victim, It corrupts anything that uses it. Its why you can't fix your PC. If you take it out, PC should work normally again.
Oct 27, 2020
twitch...

I sit over there (points) and if you need me, just whistle. You don't need 2 of us helping :)
Sorry! I don't mean to cause problems with the help I'm getting. I appreciate everyone's help, thank you. Although, now I'm running into a new issue. After trying to update windows, I'm getting a screen that says "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer"

gardenman

Splendid
Did you delete the partitions from the SSD before installing to it?
Did you unplug the other drive?

Help is welcome Colif. If he's getting the "undoing changes" on an update that's on a FRESH install, then I'd say he has some hardware issue or another. But that's just a guess.

Oct 27, 2020

Help is welcome Colif. If he's getting the "undoing changes" on an update that's on a FRESH install, then I'd say he has some hardware issue or another. But that's just a guess.

I deleted all partitions before the install, except on the USB. I left the USB in while installing, and during updates. I've taken it out now.

Oct 27, 2020

There was a bluescreen issue during the updates, so maybe I need to reinstall windows again and have the system update properly without crashing. I'm anxious about installing the RAM checker for the potential hardware issues again, because I think that is what caused the trojan. In any case, my start button isn't working now, so I don't think I can check for updates.

gardenman

Splendid
What RAM checker caused a trojan? I just looked at the one from <Removed> and it was asking me to download a plugin for Firefox. I refused. I'm not sure if that's something new, or something malicious. Avoid it for now.

You should be using memtest86 from
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If the issue is your RAM, you can test it without even having Windows installed with memtest86. And I would recommend you doing that now, go ahead and test the RAM, 1 ram stick at a time for at least 4 passes each (although 8 passes is preferred, you will have to do it twice since it's limited to 4 passes).

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
he got that after trying to update
After trying to update windows, I'm getting a screen that says "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer"
not clean install. That would be a very odd message to get during an install :)
but he got it during an update. It can just mean its missing drivers which makes sense right after an install. He should go to motherboard makers site and grab drivers before trying windows update again.

memtest is worth running just to save time.

Oct 27, 2020
What RAM checker caused a trojan? I just looked at the one from memtest.org and it was asking me to download a plugin for Firefox. I refused. I'm not sure if that's something new, or something malicious. Avoid it for now.

You should be using memtest86 from
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If the issue is your RAM, you can test it without even having Windows installed with memtest86. And I would recommend you doing that now, go ahead and test the RAM, 1 ram stick at a time for at least 4 passes each (although 8 passes is preferred, you will have to do it twice since it's limited to 4 passes).
The memtest86 website is what I'm suspecting placed the trojan on my tower. I ran it briefly off of a different USB just to see the menu. The next morning, windows identified a trojan, and I was getting strange errors. For that reason, I really don't want to download memtest86 again. I read up on the forum posted earlier that there is a memtest86+, with source code that can be copied. I'd rather do something like that, but I'm just confused over how to go about running it from source code. I want to test my RAM, but I don't want to install a virus.

I guess I'll wipe my computer again, but this time install the drivers from the motherboard site before attempting the windows update. Where can I find the motherboard site?

gardenman

Splendid
There's at least 3 different "memtest" websites.

There is one that likely has a trojan on it. This is not the one that we are linking to. You can use either one of the ones that we have linked to.

You don't need the "source code" and it's very unlikely that you can use it (if you don't know what source code is, then you will not know how to recompile it and set it up for use).

Oct 27, 2020
source code is another option on the memtest86+ site
I am not entirely sure how you would use it.

the auto installer for USB key on the page I linked https://www.memtest.org/#downiso probably creates the installer - I haven't ever used this site, I sort of know how the other one works better.

If there is a 3rd memtest site I haven't seen it yet but it wouldn't surprise me
I decided to do memtest86, and I've prepared the image file on a new usb drive. The menu was slightly different than the other, so I assume the trojan was caused by a different memtest site. What a relief.

I'm not sure how to test each stick individually. Here's some of what I'm seeing:

System Info:

CPU Type: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz
GPU Clock: 3734 [Turbo: 4339.5 MHz]
CPU Temperature: 43C
# Logical Processors: 12 (6 enabled for testing)

Total Physical Memory: 32710M (23505 MB/s)
Memory latency: 20.464 ns
ECC Enabled: No
iMS Available: N/A
L1 Cache: 4 x 64K (207086 MB/s)
L2 Cache: 4 x 256K (100940 MB/s)
L3 Cache: 12288K (43468 MB/s)

In detailed RAM SPD info, I'm seeing 4 RAM modules. They're all listed as PC4-21300 DDR4 2666MHz / 19-19-19-43 / Samsung M378A1K43CB2-CTD

In CPU Selection, I'm seeing:

List of CPUs available for testing: 0 2 4 6 8 10

(And some options):
Single: CPU # 0
Parallel (All CPUs)
Round Robin (All CPUs)
Sequential (All CPUs)

Should I prepare to save any RAM test files? I'll run some tests soon after hearing back.

Oct 27, 2020
might help to clean some dust out while you in there then

Life's been kinda rough recently so I took a break from this.

I took 3 of the 4 ram sticks out of my tower and tried to run the test. Within a few minutes over 10,000 errors came up and the test was aborted due to too many errors. I'll put them all back in and run the test again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you got 10k errors on 1 stick? wow... try testing other 3 and see if they are okay. Test them 1 stick at a time or you don't know which has errors. if any do.

You don't want sticks in PC that have any errors at all. Max error count is 0

remove/replace sticks of ram with errors. Only use sticks that don't cause any.

Oct 27, 2020
you got 10k errors on 1 stick? wow... try testing other 3 and see if they are okay. Test them 1 stick at a time or you don't know which has errors. if any do.

You don't want sticks in PC that have any errors at all. Max error count is 0

remove/replace sticks of ram with errors. Only use sticks that don't cause any.

I'm worried removing the sticks caused errors. I want to run some tests with all 4 sticks in first. It was also a pain to put them back in

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can guess you get more errors. if the stick does cause 10k and stop testing, its a bad stick. If its in PC with 3 unknown sticks (in that we don't know if they good or not, you likely get more errors as 10k is way too many

I doubt you caused errors by removing the sticks.

Bad ram could have been reason for all your BSOD in the last 2 threads, it will show perfectly good drivers as bad, and once you replace drivers, move onto another victim, It corrupts anything that uses it. Its why you can't fix your PC. If you take it out, PC should work normally again.

Last edited:
Solution