[SOLVED] system shut off randomly

george.tancre

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
My pretty much new pc 3 weeks old. with i9 overclocked to 4.7ghz, 2080ti, 64gb 3200mhz ram. randomly shut off 20 minutes into a game today. i stressed tested everything after and even ran diagnostics in bios and evertything seemed fine, why could this random shut down happen? it only happened once.

Solution
2080Ti is not a cheap card; I'd advise not powering the rig with a non-name $50 PSU that really might have issues with even a 350-400 watt peak load.., or, an up to 100 extra watt instantaneous surge required by a 2080Ti, etc...

Furmark makes some stress tester software that in years past have been known to actually make PSUs and/or MBs fail due to massive power surges required...; so use with caution!

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
If it is a basic non name branded PSU that could be the problem also you should try out first with your CPU at stock speeds as well as a just in case cause sure you can overclock it without any problems but what if that is the problem as well cause remember you have to set the voltage as well so my suggestion is stock clocks then try out what game you were playing and then let us know if it still keeps on crashing.

george.tancre

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
If it is a basic non name branded PSU that could be the problem also you should try out first with your CPU at stock speeds as well as a just in case cause sure you can overclock it without any problems but what if that is the problem as well cause remember you have to set the voltage as well so my suggestion is stock clocks then try out what game you were playing and then let us know if it still keeps on crashing.
thatws the thing, been playing the same game with all the same settings and no crashes or nothing, ever since the crash everything has been fine too, it was just completely random.. it only crashed one time.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
thatws the thing, been playing the same game with all the same settings and no crashes or nothing, ever since the crash everything has been fine too, it was just completely random.. it only crashed one time.

Are you it was a crash while you were playing and not an update that happened because if it was also a one time thing you could of had an update that happened without you knowing it which can also confuse people.

2080Ti is not a cheap card; I'd advise not powering the rig with a non-name $50 PSU that really might have issues with even a 350-400 watt peak load.., or, an up to 100 extra watt instantaneous surge required by a 2080Ti, etc...

Furmark makes some stress tester software that in years past have been known to actually make PSUs and/or MBs fail due to massive power surges required...; so use with caution!

Reactions: Exia00
Solution