Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I have the following config:
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 b60
Motherboard: Asus, MSA78L-M lx
GPU: Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 gb
PSU 600W thermaltake.

The system with the cabinet closed worked fine while playing games. When its is closed it shuts off.

GPU temp right now eith the cabinate open is min:51, max:75 CPU is 35

the GPU fan blows air downwards direction. and all my fans are on top.

the event manager after shutdowns tells me Kernal pwr error message. No messages displayed while starting the system which indicates a thermal event.

I am really confused as to what can be the issue.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Yes it is like shutting off like I am pulling the plug off. I thought it is the PSU too but when the system does not shutoff with the cabinet open made me move away from the PSU.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Would still think it's your psu. Think about it... When you close your cabinet your cutting off a huge source of air. Your temps on your Cpu Gpu don't rise... So you know it's not them. But your cutting off the air to the rest of the system. (your psu needs air to stay cool too ;) )

Still betting on the psu. Do you have another machine? friend etc that you could borrow a psu for testing?

*edit* also can you mod the cabinet? Open the back of it or something no one would see to allow better air flow?

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Ok I will check by swapping the PSU. think of it I remembered that my GPU fans are directly pointed to the PSU. :)

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Well if your gpu fans are pointing directly to the psu thats even more heat your directing :p. Might wanna do some re arranging etc. But let us know how it goes.

It's something related to heat. Your temps on your cpu gpu say they are ok.. So has to be something else.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Hi
Since Friday I have made quite a few changes. I have swapped the PSU with a crossair 750 w. Added 3 more fans. my GPU temps have gone up to 88.5 now.
Cleaned the GPU fans and the heatsink. reapplied the thermal paste on the gpu. still the temps are high.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Havent quite tested that yet. I am stopping the game since the temp are going up. I am afraid that the GPU may burn out

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Explain real quick how you have the air flow set up? I know you mentioned you added extra fans etc. Where is the intake exhaust etc.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Right now I have all the fans blowing air out. Two on top near the processor one at the top back, which is also close to the processor. One bottom front panel. one on the side panel perpendicular to the GPU. one on the bottom beside the PSU.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

K you need some sucking air in too.

Leave the Two on the top and the one of the top back blowing air out (exhaust) then change the one on the side and front bottom panel to suck cool air in (intake) This should help A LOT with your heat issues. The way you have it set up right now your sucking all air out and not replacing it with anything. SO it creates a vacuum like affect where the heat actually just sits in the case.

Give that a shot and check temps and report back.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

I did as you said now the temps are at 84.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

1 Degree difference :p. How is your cable management?

Is it like this? http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/4256103/Best+cable+management/

Or like this? http://www.overclock.net/t/525009/official-the-coolermaster-storm-scout-scout-ii-club/25010

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Upload it to a free hosting site and post the link.

It may just be the constraints of being in the cabinet. Send a pic of where the tower is sitting as well as the guts.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Here is how the system looks like.
photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Not as clean as the last picture you sent. That is neat.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
You got way too many mollex conecting adaptors, you should actually have NONE!
That front fan is not required, disconnt it.
It looks like you got your hdd connected through a mollex adapter, no good!The video card also looks like, some sort of mollex connection, no good.

Your PSU should have all the proper connections, why are you using mollex adapters?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

+1.

I believe it's his first build. Probably doesn't know any better.

Get those cables cleaned up and it will help WONDERS with your air flow. Shoot for the link I posted ;).

Ten pc is right. Your using some power connectors that you don't even need and should be hiding tucked away in the case somewhere, where they won't obstruct air flow.

Here is a helpful guide to read through. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/892-basics-of-cable-management

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Hi guys,
Yes it is my first build. :) I have cleaned up the cables now first time I kept the game on and stepped outside when I came back the system had shut off. I didn't make any changes since then and have played games on the system, 1 hr continuously, it is not shutting down the GPU temp is in between 74~76. Al molex connectors from my previous post are for the fans. and for the GPU its PCIe connectors.