[SOLVED] System started slowing down, ran a benchmark, help!

Jan 27, 2019
I noticed my 1.5 year old PC start becoming a bit sluggish when just opening files recently, even getting to the point of 'not responding' on some simple applications. I'd never had any issues before. Today I did a fresh install of windows 10 to free up some space and see if this could fix anything and then ran a userbenchmark. These are the results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14182951

It shows my CPU and RAM to be performing below average alongside my HDD. I have always had trouble with the HDD being at 100% and around and never really found a working fix so just dealt with it, it could be corrupt.

Specifications:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: GTX 660
PSU: EVGA 430 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I really can't figure out why my CPU should be performing so poorly, any help to fix this would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Solution
ok on your memory speed, my bad you need a 7th generation cpu to go any higher in speed. You are limited to 2133 by your current cpu. Your bios number will show when you start up your computer and hit either delete or f-2 to get into your bios screen. It will tell you which bios number you have onboard. The most current one is F8. You can find drivers, bios, and utilities for your motherboard here. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-D2V-rev-10#support-dl-driver

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Off the bat I see your memory is not running at its max, it is a 2666 memory stick but running at 2133. I would use cc cleaner to clean up junk and cluttering files that slow down access speed on your hard drive. Also try wise registry cleaner, that will get rid of broken and unused registry files too. I would also go into device manager and update drivers line by line. Check on age of bios for motherboard and update it if need be. A virus check is in order too, and last but not least turn on windows power setting to high performance. Your rig is getting long in the tooth and programs are getting more and more demanding of hardware.

Jan 27, 2019

Yes, I'm currently saving up for upgrades to my system, just want to ensure this is running whilst I wait. I've run both CCcleaner and WRC and I've got to say that it's feeling a bit healthier. I will try the driver updates but I don't expect much as I check quite frequently. How would I get the RAM to run at 2666MHz?
Virus checks were one of the first things I did and nothing at all was brought up, refresh should have gotten rid of anything trivial anyway. I've also placed into high performance mode, but how would I check and/or update BIOS?

Thanks for your help so far!

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
ok on your memory speed, my bad you need a 7th generation cpu to go any higher in speed. You are limited to 2133 by your current cpu. Your bios number will show when you start up your computer and hit either delete or f-2 to get into your bios screen. It will tell you which bios number you have onboard. The most current one is F8. You can find drivers, bios, and utilities for your motherboard here. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-D2V-rev-10#support-dl-driver

Solution