Question System suddenly shut off and doesn't recognize boot device

Feb 10, 2021
I was just in a meeting and then suddenly my PC restarted. Upon restart, a screen popped up saying that it doesn't find any device to boot from. I look into BIOS, and it detects that my M.2 SSD is there with windows on it, and when I boot from it, it gives me an error message saying "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Status 0xc000007b." I've just recently installed an extra set of RAM, but after taking those out, it didn't seem to make a difference. I've looked online saying I repair it through the command prompt, or try to use a bootable USB to repair windows, but none has worked so far. I've tried changing the location of the SSD to see if the port was bad but that didn't work either. My PC is about a year old, so I'm not sure if it's the hardware that has failed early on. Any help is appreciated.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I was just in a meeting and then suddenly my PC restarted. Upon restart, a screen popped up saying that it doesn't find any device to boot from. I look into BIOS, and it detects that my M.2 SSD is there with windows on it, and when I boot from it, it gives me an error message saying "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Status 0xc000007b." I've just recently installed an extra set of RAM, but after taking those out, it didn't seem to make a difference. I've looked online saying I repair it through the command prompt, or try to use a bootable USB to repair windows, but none has worked so far. I've tried changing the location of the SSD to see if the port was bad but that didn't work either. My PC is about a year old, so I'm not sure if it's the hardware that has failed early on. Any help is appreciated.
I've had this happen in the past, and I could even replicate it on demand, even though when I asked about it I was told it was impossible. Sad thing is, I have health problems and my memory isn't the greatest, and I can't remember exactly what it was that did it, and how to replicate it. The good thing is that if it's the same as mine, I do know an easy, if band aide, fix.
The power switch on the PSU. Turn it off, wait a few seconds for the power to drain from the motherboard capacitors. Usually you can hear it if it's quiet enough. Flip the switch back on, power up the system, and it should boot with the same BIOS settings that were last used.

Another possible problem is your CMOS battery might need changing. I'd definitely give my suggestion a try first. And if I can remember what it was that did it, I'll add more. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with my GTX 1080ti (possibly SLI)

Feb 10, 2021
I've had this happen in the past, and I could even replicate it on demand, even though when I asked about it I was told it was impossible. Sad thing is, I have health problems and my memory isn't the greatest, and I can't remember exactly what it was that did it, and how to replicate it. The good thing is that if it's the same as mine, I do know an easy, if band aide, fix.
The power switch on the PSU. Turn it off, wait a few seconds for the power to drain from the motherboard capacitors. Usually you can hear it if it's quiet enough. Flip the switch back on, power up the system, and it should boot with the same BIOS settings that were last used.

Another possible problem is your CMOS battery might need changing. I'd definitely give my suggestion a try first. And if I can remember what it was that did it, I'll add more. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with my GTX 1080ti (possibly SLI)

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried both a new CMOS battery(I had some extra just because I've had some problem with them in the past) and draining the power. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error. I'm not too sure where to go from here.