System switches to integrated graphics sometimes when in game

PentiumForLife

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
When I play games (mostly Overwatch) I get random fps drops for a while. From 90+ to 30 constant - though it feels like lower. I've checked the usage of both the integrated graphics and the dedicated graphics while gaming and when the game's running smoothly the dedicated gpu is high load and has temps between 65-75 degrees celsuis, and the integrated graphics have no load. However the fps drops randomly for varying periods of time. Checking back on task manager during these fps drops, the integrated graphics take the load and the dedicated graphics have little to no load. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have tried such solutions as selecting my GTX 1050 in the nVidia Control Panel for the PhysX Processor, and changing setting the GTX 1050 as my global graphics processor and as the specific processor for the specific game. I have disabled XBox DVR and GeForce overlay - though I've had these disable even before the fps drops started happening. I've also tried uninstalling the GTX 1050 drivers and reinstalling - this worked for a little while but the fps drops came back eventually.

I think the fps drops started happening after I either updated the GTX 1050 drivers through the GeForce experience app or the Windows 10 creator update, though I'm not sure.

The fps drops tend to happen more frequently and more aggressively in Overwatch than other games. And when I tab out, my whole system lags as well.

My system is a Dell XPS 15 9560
i7 7700HQ
GTX 1050

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

WildCard999

Titan
Ok try this...

-Download the newest 1050 driver directly from Nvidia.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
During installation check custom install, then pick graphics driver, PhysX, HD Audio & Geforce Experience (<-If that's what your using). You'll also want to check the "clean installation" box as it will remove any prior drivers that may conflict with the newer ones.

-Make sure PhysX is set to Auto in the Nvidia Control Panel.

-Check temps on the CPU & GPU while gaming and when your dips occur, HWmonitor works well to record those.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Going back to your original question the iGPU on the 7700HQ should not be active at all since you have a dedicated GPU (1050) in the system although you may be able to disable the iGPU in the BIOS which should force the system to use the 1050.

PentiumForLife

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

I've previously tried this and tried it again just now and it didn't work. I took a screenshot of GPU-Z, HWMonitor and Task Manager just after the fps drop occured.

I've also tried to disable the integrated graphics in the device manager and that also didn't work - just made my system laggy and sluggish. There was also no option to disable it in the BIOS.

https://imgur.com/a/WkCvU

PentiumForLife

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

I've used malwarebytes to scan my system and found some malware and quarantined it. However I still get fps drops.

WildCard999

Titan

That imgur link you posted shows 100% CPU usage as the max, even with different apps open and even a game it shouldn't be that high and when it does hit 100% you would experience that stuttering/lower FPS.

Let me point out something rather important..
the temp on your cpu is causing your drop in fps, why? its over heating.. anything over 85c is a problem..

4Ck7PAM.png

PentiumForLife

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

Yeah, I realised that my system was thermal throttling - though I don't know if it was the main problem. I've already undervolted using XTU and seen much improved performance as well as lower temps, I will probably repaste and put thermal pads on the VRMs to further reduce temps.

Thanks for the replies.

Jun 21, 2019
i7-7700HQ owner here, I have an MSI GP72M 7REX LEOPARD PRO and that cpu is... a fookin' furnace. It's normal for that CPU, right now I have the CPU undervolted and if I enable the CoolerBoost I can keep the CPU under 95*C... cannot do better since my house is sooo hot on summer.