[SOLVED] System upgrade opinions

Mar 15, 2019
Just curious what you guys think I can do to upgrade my system and if certain area's are bottlenecked etc. All advice appreciated! Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 30 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (13-13-13-32)
Motherboard
MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922) (SOCKET 0) 32 °C
Graphics
Optix G24C (1920x1080@144Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (MSI) 29 °C
ForceWare version: 419.17
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA ) 27 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA ) 27 °C
223GB DREVO D1 SSD (SATA (SSD)) 49 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Solution
relax already and dont throw such words around.. he means well. and he did say IF - and yes, he knows it's a brand new system at that point. fact is that 4790 is as far as that platform will go, you ve got pretty much the best cpu you can have on that mb/ram so yep, for a better platform you do need to switch out everything.

for the oc, just try in small steps, stress test each small increase and once you reach 70-80s temps or it's unstable dial back a touch.

compare to stock and if you're happy with the new performance enjoy.
IF you could, I'd say get a new CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.

i'm sorry, i disagree, that 4790 though a bit old is perfectly adequate with its 4cores/8threads.

sure, there are better options but he'd be spending a lot on the whole combo to get small improvements...

if you really need the extra performance just get a big cpu cooler and oc the heck out of the 4790.

Reactions: wardb196
Mar 15, 2019
hey yall, i have a corsair liquid cooling setup for my cpu atm, i do not know however a healthy overclock, would an extra 300 mghz really show anything ??

LQC kit is a corsair i believe it is a h100 series model but i am not for sure. i do however have stable temps at idle and gaming, doesnt get too high on stress tests that i can see. and you go to hell computerjoe !!! I might aswell buy another system.

relax already and dont throw such words around.. he means well. and he did say IF - and yes, he knows it's a brand new system at that point. fact is that 4790 is as far as that platform will go, you ve got pretty much the best cpu you can have on that mb/ram so yep, for a better platform you do need to switch out everything.

for the oc, just try in small steps, stress test each small increase and once you reach 70-80s temps or it's unstable dial back a touch.

compare to stock and if you're happy with the new performance enjoy.

Solution