[SOLVED] system upgrade path, donation PC.

Hi all I was given a PC, that's been sitting in a closet for 2yrs, the person that gave it to me didn't care what happened with it at first. However reached out to me the other day asking if it was still a good enough system to donate, he wants to give it to a kid at the school he teaches at that is low income. That way he has a PC of his own to play games on with his friends, and can use to study for school and prepare for life.

Specs of the PC...
I5 4670k "no idea how old however still runs like brand new and no over heating signs period"
Liquid cooler "no idea what kind how old or anything, it was part of the original prebuilt iBuyPower system"
16gb ddr3 1600MHz 2x8gb
Gtx 770 gold edition "2gb gddr5"
Thermal take 850w psu. No idea the model or age
Asus z87-k "sketchy and probably going to be replaced... With Asus sabertooth z97 since the z87-k is reporting over heating issues.

What we would like to know is what would you guys recommend for upgrades to the machine before he donated it... I'm thinking of getting like a gtx 1070 super or something to put in it instead of the 770 but other then that I'm not sure what is actually a good path to upgrade this machine.

Edit, sorry he said the kid he has in mind to give the PC to is in 7th grade, this kid has apparently done nothing but help everyone better themselves. To the point he is spending 75% of his days at school helping the teachers tutor other students in need of assistance. The budget for upgrading the PC is about $250. I already have a gtx 1070 to put in the PC and the mobo.... However if there are any recommendations to replace something that would be awesome thank you

Last edited:
Solution
I mean, seems good enough. So long as there are at least two intake fans in front and an exhaust fan in both the rear and top rear locations, I'd say that's good enough for 99% of systems regardless of the hardware involved.
If this has a liquid cooler from when the unit was first built, it would be a very good idea to replace it because it's highly improbable that it is still, or will be for long, working properly. Five years, especially for units from back in 2013 like that system is, is about the extend of how long these AIO coolers typically last and a lot of them, again, especially those older ones, rarely made it that long without pump failure, biological growth clogging up the small passages in the pump or radiator, hoses leaking or loss of coolant through permeation. Any of which will definitely result in reduced cooling capability or at some point complete loss of cooling altogether.

It would be like handing that kid a problem. I'd recommend either swapping it out for another AIO or better yet, since that isn't an extremely high TDP processor, just removing it and installing a decent air cooler. You can get a good tower air cooler for like 20-30 bucks. Not the best of what's out there but certainly more than good enough for that CPU.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-SE-ARGB-TL-C12C-S-Technology/dp/B09LGY38L4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=396XK8LQFD988&keywords=peerless+assassin+120+se&qid=1669058267&sprefix=peerless+assassin+120+se,aps,110&sr=8-1&th=1

Even this would handle that CPU just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LHBFPJ6?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

It would also be a VERY good idea to know exactly what model that PSU is, and the model will be printed right on the label on the side of the PSU. You might have to unscrew it from the case and turn it to see the label. And if it is as old as the rest of the build, a very good idea to replace that as well because there is literally no chance that a power supply from 2013 is still in any way reliable. It might even be dangerous depending on the model and how hard it was ridden while it was somebody's daily driver. In any case, if it is more than five years old it likely is a good candidate for replacement with a quality model if you want to give this kid something reliable.

If this has a liquid cooler from when the unit was first built, it would be a very good idea to replace it because it's highly improbable that it is still, or will be for long, working properly. Five years, especially for units from back in 2013 like that system is, is about the extend of how long these AIO coolers typically last and a lot of them, again, especially those older ones, rarely made it that long without pump failure, biological growth clogging up the small passages in the pump or radiator, hoses leaking or loss of coolant through permeation. Any of which will definitely result in reduced cooling capability or at some point complete loss of cooling altogether.

It would be like handing that kid a problem. I'd recommend either swapping it out for another AIO or better yet, since that isn't an extremely high TDP processor, just removing it and installing a decent air cooler. You can get a good tower air cooler for like 20-30 bucks. Not the best of what's out there but certainly more than good enough for that CPU.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-SE-ARGB-TL-C12C-S-Technology/dp/B09LGY38L4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=396XK8LQFD988&keywords=peerless+assassin+120+se&qid=1669058267&sprefix=peerless+assassin+120+se,aps,110&sr=8-1&th=1

It would also be a VERY good idea to know exactly what model that PSU is, and the model will be printed right on the label on the side of the PSU. You might have to unscrew it from the case and turn it to see the label. And if it is as old as the rest of the build, a very good idea to replace that as well because there is literally no chance that a power supply from 2013 is still in any way reliable. It might even be dangerous depending on the model and how hard it was ridden while it was somebody's daily driver. In any case, if it is more than five years old it likely is a good candidate for replacement with a quality model if you want to give this kid something reliable.
Thank you I was actually debating on replacing the liquid cooler after sitting for 2yrs just wasn't sure if I wanted to fully yet or not. But you make a great point, and I will just switch it to a noctuah air cooler. I'm fairly certain I may have a spare with the lga1150 socket attachment somewhere. As for the psu I honestly fully spaced even doing any research into it which is why I have no idea anything on it other than thermal take 850w. Actually just looking at the psu design I'm fairly certain that psu is coming out and being replaced I'm fairly certain it one of the lowest tier psu thermal take ever made.

Yeah so the psu is going to the e-waste it's a thermal take tr2-850w. What psu would you recommend for an i5-4670k, Asus sabertooth z97, and gtx 1070 super.

Doubtful, because they have a LOT of very bad power supply models in their history, like the TR2 600w and Lite power models, which were often system killers. But that doesn't mean it isn't a bad model either whatever it is. Most of their 850w models were at least somewhat ok, but not all of them.

If you need a model recommendation let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM550x (2021) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 14:53 EST-0500

But if you NEED to shave a few bucks off that, you could get by with this and not feel like you were putting a real turd into it for the kid. Not great, not terrible. Just, "ok", but "ok" enough for that configuration especially for free.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX650M (2021) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $54.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 14:54 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM550x (2021) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $69.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 14:53 EST-0500

But if you NEED to shave a few bucks off that, you could get by with this and not feel like you were putting a real turd into it for the kid. Not great, not terrible. Just, "ok", but "ok" enough for that configuration especially for free.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX650M (2021) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $54.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 14:54 EST-0500
Awesome thank you so much, I will put the rm550x in it for him.
So the new parts list
Asus sabertooth 97
I5 4670k
Noctuah air cooler
Gtx 1070 super
Rm550x
16gb 1600MHz 2x8gb

Is there anything I'm missing that could help in the long run?

Well, if you're removing an AIO there might be a need for a couple of fans since you're eliminating at least part of the airflow in the case by taking out the AIO unless you plan to use the fans off that AIO, which might or might not be viable.

Knowing what the case, existing case fan configuration and storage devices consist of would allow me to offer further recommendations but if all those are good then you are probably good aside from maybe doing a clean install of Windows and the motherboard drivers.

Well, if you're removing an AIO there might be a need for a couple of fans since you're eliminating at least part of the airflow in the case by taking out the AIO unless you plan to use the fans off that AIO, which might or might not be viable.

Knowing what the case, existing case fan configuration and storage devices consist of would allow me to offer further recommendations but if all those are good then you are probably good aside from maybe doing a clean install of Windows and the motherboard drivers.
I have no idea what the case is, it's something ibuypower put together, as for the air flow... It has very good airflow with x3 120mm 4000rpm full control fans in the front seat as intake. X2 240mm 4000rpm full control fans on the top for air pushed out the system, x1 240mm 4000rpm full control fan on the back pushing air out of the system as well. The fan on the psu when it arrives will be set as an intake like the front fans. The front of the tower is a full mesh screen with a filter behind it to collect dust so air intake will be plentiful as well as exhaust. The os is going to be a fresh install of windows 10 pro already activated to the sabertooth mobo, it's going to be installed on a 400ishGB ssd, and I'm going to be putting x4 1TB "7500rpm" barracuda hdd's in with it

these are the intake fans I can't find a link to the exhaust fans. These are fairly old fans but they were never used I bought thems years back and they sat in my storage unit for a long time. I know their technically meant to be mounted to CPU coolers but they also work on the case as well

I mean, seems good enough. So long as there are at least two intake fans in front and an exhaust fan in both the rear and top rear locations, I'd say that's good enough for 99% of systems regardless of the hardware involved.
The PC was finished late last night, and will be donated to the kid on Monday if I remember correctly,
Double check there isn't anything that could be added for a safety net.
Specs
Asus sabertooth z97
I5 4670k
Noctuah air cooler x2 fans
Liquid metal thermal paste
4 intake fans "psu included"
3 exhaust fans
X3 1tb barracuda drives.
420gb ssd windows 10 pro x64
2x8gb 1600MHz ram 16gb total
Gtx 1070 super
50ft Ethernet cable. Will be provided.
I can through in a wifi adapter as well but I don't really see a need with Ethernet
Is there anything else that my make things simpler in the long run

I'd ask the kid about the network adapter. Some people simply don't have a reasonable ability, or are allowed to, run an ethernet cable to where they need it to be especially if they are on another level and have to use wifi, and others don't. I've stopped trying to tell people "figure out a way to get ethernet to it" because a lot of them simply won't do it, don't want it, aren't allowed to, or are just against having cables, and also, modern WiFi is drawing closer and closer to being parallel with most cable modem speeds anyhow.

Other than what you have listed, the only other things I can think of are keyboard, mouse and monitor.

I'd ask the kid about the network adapter. Some people simply don't have a reasonable ability, or are allowed to, run an ethernet cable to where they need it to be especially if they are on another level and have to use wifi, and others don't. I've stopped trying to tell people "figure out a way to get ethernet to it" because a lot of them simply won't do it, don't want it, aren't allowed to, or are just against having cables, and also, modern WiFi is drawing closer and closer to being parallel with most cable modem speeds anyhow.

Other than what you have listed, the only other things I can think of are keyboard, mouse and monitor.
You are actually a 1000% right I have no idea whether or not the teacher or school will provide these or not I will have to get in touch with the teacher again before Monday.

What would you recommend about a monitor, keyboard, and mouse in the $200 range

For free? I wouldn't even go anywhere near that range. Kid is getting a really nice setup, that's totally upgradeable later, for free. I'd give them basic components that aren't expensive. Like these. Or even more basic perhaps. I get it that it's a good kid and is deserving, but I mean, you gotta draw the line somewhere I think. Either that, or apply for Sainthood. LOL.

But, if you guys must, then this is probably at least as good, probably better, than just about anything else you're going to get all three for that are reasonably decent entry level products with, for free, really good specs and reviews.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Dell G2422HS 23.8" 1920 x 1080 165 Hz Monitor ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator 3 Wired Gaming Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $159.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-24 21:54 EST-0500

For free? I wouldn't even go anywhere near that range. Kid is getting a really nice setup, that's totally upgradeable later, for free. I'd give them basic components that aren't expensive. Like these. Or even more basic perhaps. I get it that it's a good kid and is deserving, but I mean, you gotta draw the line somewhere I think. Either that, or apply for Sainthood. LOL.

But, if you guys must, then this is probably at least as good, probably better, than just about anything else you're going to get all three for that are reasonably decent entry level products with, for free, really good specs and reviews.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Dell G2422HS 23.8" 1920 x 1080 165 Hz Monitor ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator 3 Wired Gaming Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $159.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-24 21:54 EST-0500
Sorry I wasn't meaning it had to be $200 I honestly haven't done much shopping lately for perifreals. So I honestly have no idea how much a monitor cost after all the inflation in the markets and everything

Right. No worries. That is a good "entry level gaming" option. If you just want to provide some very basic peripherals, this would be fine to just allow the basics and allow him to find better peripherals if he wants them. Either way, can't see he'll have much to complain about really. Wish somebody had done something like this for me when I was a kid, of course, there was no hardware like this when I was a kid so that would have been a neat trick. LOL.

Well, we had stuff, just, obviously not like what we have now. The worst hardware out there right now would have been massively, many times more capable than anything back then.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Sceptre E248W-FPT 23.8" 1920 x 1080 75 Hz Monitor ($84.97 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($19.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $104.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-25 00:37 EST-0500

Awesome man. This is the way. LOL.

6fbe4c90cea75be87631403fc07330d3.jpg