[System Upgrade] Which to invest in first?

givememetal

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hello all,

I'm afraid I'm rather new to these forums, but I was hoping some of you may be able to offer a little advice about upgrading my system. I mostly use my PC for games and don't want to spend more than $250 at this time. Currently I have:

Mobo: ASUS P5NSLI
CPU: Intel Core2Duo e6600 2.4 GHz
RAM: 2gigs, DDR2 667
Vid: Nvidia 8800gt, 1gig

My question is, I hope, a simple one to the experienced rigger: Which of these components stands out to you as the one in need of an upgrade the most?

I've been considering a few options such as

1) Upgrading my cpu/mobo/RAM. I think this is the most expensive route and I don't think it will fit my current budget.

2) Upgrading my video card. I know there are pretty good cards available for about $170 - $200, but will my aging CPU/mobo hold a new card back?

3) Finding another 8800gt and going SLI. I'm again a little reluctant because these cards are going the way of the dodo.

4) Buying a couple more sticks of RAM. My mobo has a couple of open slots and I think this is by far the cheapest option, but will I really see much performance boost?

5) Upgrading my CPU alone with another 775 with better performance. My mobo is too old for a quad core (I think) but there are better Core2's out there.

Thank you for any help you could render and again, I'm sorry if I put this post in the wrong place.