[SOLVED] System will not boot from my SSD if an HDD is plugged in ?

Nov 21, 2021
I have an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming motherboard. I recently have been having some issues crashing in games and so i updated my BIOS to version 2801 (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z370-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios). After this update, I thought i got a message on reboot to do something with RAID vs AHCI, but i kind of dismissed the message and tried to boot the system because i didn't want to mess with the data on the drives. (currently the BIOS has the SATA functionality set to AHCI)

The first time I restarted, it booted fine. But after that day, I shut my computer down fully. The next day I tried to turn it on and I got the message "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE: 0xc0000001 " with not much else on the screen except to tell me to insert a windows repair disc. I tried changing a few settings and unplugged all my devices to no avail. Eventually I tried unplugging drives one by one until i found the issue. The computer will boot with everything connected except my 2TB HDD. My other 2 drives are SSDs.

I enabled hot swapping for the SATA port where my HDD was and was able to boot the PC up without it plugged in, plug in my HDD after windows loaded, and access all of my files. But it cannot boot with it plugged in. Is there an issue with HDDs mixing with SSDs on this new BIOS? Will swapping to RAID fix it like the initial reboot message mentioned? I didn't want to immediately swap to RAID in case it messed up something else on my drives or tried to merge them or something and wipe the data. How can I get normal boot function back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Swapping to RAID will fix it, but you won’t be able to boot Windows any more.

you could try connecting it to port 4 or 6 if your board has them, sometimes those are non-raid and might be able to read the drive without reinstalling windows in non-ahci mode (long shot).

if that doesn’t work and you need the data on the 2TB HDD then the only option to switch to RAID in bios and reinstall windows, then connect up the HDD.

personal,y I would take the opportunity at that point to move all the data off it and onto a NAS or external HDD, then sell it on eBay. You don’t need spinning rust in your PC in 2021.

"Swapping to RAID will fix it" - No

RAID for most users is unnecessary and unlikely to gain anything except for more...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

you could try connecting it to port 4 or 6 if your board has them, sometimes those are non-raid and might be able to read the drive without reinstalling windows in non-ahci mode (long shot).

if that doesn’t work and you need the data on the 2TB HDD then the only option to switch to RAID in bios and reinstall windows, then connect up the HDD.

personal,y I would take the opportunity at that point to move all the data off it and onto a NAS or external HDD, then sell it on eBay. You don’t need spinning rust in your PC in 2021.

Nov 14, 2021
Do you have any m.2 sata device attached in m.2 slot(s)? If yes, then you have to be careful plugging the HDD/SSD in SATA_1 or in SATA_56 port (depends on which m.2 port is used). These ports (m.2_1, m.2_2 and sata_1, sata_56) share the same SATA channels therefore cannot be plugged at the same time with SATA type storages. You have to avoid this mix. BTW, you can easily use nvme storage in the m.2 slots and sata hdd in sata ports without any conflict. For your better understanding, a snap of the manual is attached here.

F402rxZ.png

Ralston18

Titan

RAID for most users is unnecessary and unlikely to gain anything except for more complications and problems.

= = = =

"try connecting it to port 4 or 6 if your board has them" - perhaps. The motherboard's User Manual (provided that I did indeed identify the applicable manual) indicates 6 ports per physically numbered Page 1-12.

However there are other details that need to be considered and checked per the note box at the bottom of the same page.

Reference:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...238_ROG_STRIX_Z370-E_GAMING_UM_WEB_082417.pdf

= = = =

" you need the data on the 2TB HDD" - swap in another known working SATA cable. Just as a matter of elimination. 2 TB HDD data may become accessible thereafter.

I would first take advantage of being able to access the 2 TB HDD data by booting without the HDD plugged in, then plug the drive in, and copy the data to another drive (or two) away from the current host system.

= = = =

"then sell it on eBay" - No. Not unless the drive can be proven as fully working. If the 2 TB HDD is indeed broken in some manner then selling the drive would be unethical. And also unlikely to sell if a true full disclosure statement is included.

Wipe (if possible) and properly recycle. Or take apart and recycle the components if the 2TB proves to have failed in some manner.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Solution
Nov 21, 2021
Do you have any m.2 sata device attached in m.2 slot(s)? If yes, then you have to be careful plugging the HDD/SSD in SATA_1 or in SATA_56 port (depends on which m.2 port is used). These ports (m.2_1, m.2_2 and sata_1, sata_56) share the same SATA channels therefore cannot be plugged at the same time with SATA type storages. You have to avoid this mix. BTW, you can easily use nvme storage in the m.2 slots and sata hdd in sata ports without any conflict. For your better understanding, a snap of the manual is attached here.

I do not have an M.2 drive at this time. Only SATA drives.

RAID for most users is unnecessary and unlikely to gain anything except for more complications and problems.

= = = =

"try connecting it to port 4 or 6 if your board has them" - perhaps. The motherboard's User Manual (provided that I did indeed identify the applicable manual) indicates 6 ports per physically numbered Page 1-12.

However there are other details that need to be considered and checked per the note box at the bottom of the same page.

Reference:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...238_ROG_STRIX_Z370-E_GAMING_UM_WEB_082417.pdf

= = = =

" you need the data on the 2TB HDD" - swap in another known working SATA cable. Just as a matter of elimination. 2 TB HDD data may become accessible thereafter.

I would first take advantage of being able to access the 2 TB HDD data by booting without the HDD plugged in, then plug the drive in, and copy the data to another drive (or two) away from the current host system.

= = = =

"then sell it on eBay" - No. Not unless the drive can be proven as fully working. If the 2 TB HDD is indeed broken in some manner then selling the drive would be unethical. And also unlikely to sell if a true full disclosure statement is included.

Wipe (if possible) and properly recycle. Or take apart and recycle the components if the 2TB proves to have failed in some manner.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried different ports to no avail. But what I think i will probably end up doing is moving all the drive contents temporarily to a different drive and replacing that drive with an SSD, and then reinstall windows on an M.2 and just do some general updating of the system. I was just hoping there was an easy 'quick fix' for the time being.

Reactions: TommyTwoTone66
Nov 14, 2021
I do not have an M.2 drive at this time. Only SATA drives.

Since you have updated the bios, boot into bios and restore the default values, save and exit. Upon restart, repeatedly press Esc button or F8 button at POST time (either Esc or F8 will work , differs with motherboard model) to invoke the BIOS boot menu and select your targeted boot drive to check if it can boot like before or not.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
But what I think i will probably end up doing is moving all the drive contents temporarily to a different drive and replacing that drive with an SSD, and then reinstall windows on an M.2 and just do some general updating of the system. I was just hoping there was an easy 'quick fix' for the time being.

We all love a quick fix but they are never all they seem :)