Question System will not boot with four sticks of memory.

rotnermark

Prominent
Jul 4, 2018
I recently rebuilt my PC. It’s been working for a few months with zero problems, everything runs fine. I took a Steam hardware survey and noticed my system was only showing 24GB of memory. I turned the system off and noticed the last stick wasn’t pushed in enough. I pushed it in and the system would not boot. I removed it and the system booted with 24GB just as before. When try the removed stick in other slots it works fine, just when it’s in the last slot it does a loop where it powers on and then off again with no DisplayPort signal. My bios is updated and XMP is enabled. All the memory sticks work individually. Is there anything I can do before I RMA my board, as that is a last resort as I need my computer for work and almost everything I do. I appreciate any replies.

Core i7 8086k stock
ROG STRIX z390
4x8 g.skill ripjaws memory
RTX 2080ti G1 OC
M22 Kraken

With three sticks installed, try bumping the DRAM voltage up in the BIOS by .005v. Save settings, shut down, install the other stick, power on. See if you get any love. If not, repeat the same procedure and increase the DRAM voltage by another .005v. Rinse and repeat until the system will either POST with all four sticks installed OR you have increased the DRAM voltage by a total of .040v (So probably, don't exceed 1.4v, and if a voltage bump is all that's needed it will probably resolve itself LONG before you get to that voltage. Usually, .005-.010v is plenty to get things working).

Yeah, that's not exactly how that works. What you have to do, and practically ALL of the motherboard manufacturers will do this, is PAY for the new board first, then they'll send you a replacement immediately. IF they determine there is a problem with your current board after receiving it, they will then refund the cost of the board to you and count it as a warranty replacement. If they determine it is NOT the problem, they will send you the board back, on YOUR dime, and you will keep both boards, having paid for one you didn't even need.

Many hardware manufacturers will do this, even with graphics cards or power supplies. Personally I think that unless you REALLY need to do that, it's a waste of time and you risk buying a board you don't actually need although having a replacement board waiting in the wings for any system is a good idea because down the road you'll find replacement boards for any platform become almost prohibitively expensive. Just having a second board already can practically double the useful life of any system in a lot of cases or become the basis for another separate system if you wish. Lots of options, few of them free.

That changes nothing. It still is the same result, regardless. If your board does have a problem, you don't get charged for the replacement. If they can't find a problem, you get charged for the board AND they charge you to send your board back to you. They are not going to accept a return on a board that you have already installed, so you are stuck with two boards in either case.

It may be that ASUS is only taking the credit card info now, which IS different than in the past and is NOT what most manufacturers do with this process, but it does still have the same result no matter what. Getting charged later for something you don't need (IF you don't) is no different than getting charged NOW for something you don't need (IF you don't), so I'm not sure where that caveat makes any difference at all.

True and true. The last one, not true IMO. Having personally purchased at least a hundred boards over the last five years, for myself and client systems, and participating daily here for many years, I cannot agree that ASUS has any glaring or higher numbers of QC/QA problems than Gigabyte or ASRock. MSI, clearly has issues with quality control on their motherboards in higher numbers than other manufacturers and that is something that got better for a year or two but then reversed course again, primarily on their budget and lower mid tier offerings.

It might SEEM like ASUS has issues in higher numbers, but they outsell these other brands in higher numbers so that's not surprising. That being said, they are also not the best company to deal with in terms of warranty support either, when and if you have to. They are ok, but they could be better.

EVGA for example has an exemplary warranty and customer service program. No other company matches them in any hardware category as far as I'm concerned. Gigabyte is ok, but can be hard to get the conversation going with them. ASRock has proven to be good in this area. MSI is good in the area of warranty and customer support, but the problem for ME is, that they need to be, because it's likely you'll need it with any of their mid tier or lower tiered boards.

As far as taking issue with them returning a finding of "not faulty", doesn't really matter. If they SAY it's good, nothing you can do really. How would you prove them wrong? Won't happen. I mean, it "happens", but when it does you're pretty much stuck just ponying up for a new board because it's not worth fighting anybody over it. You'd lose anyhow.

Was this a true 4x8 GB/32 GB RAM kit? (or two each 16 GB kits slapped in?)

Have you tried lowering/saving XMP speeds (or even disabling XMP altogether, perhaps running default 2666 MHz or whatever speed is detected by default SPD?) prior to inserting an additional pair of RAM modules? (most motherboards routinely run lower speeds/less optimal timings with 4 sticks vice merely 2 sticks)

(Might need to inspect CPU socket as well for possible damaged socket?)

If no damage, and RAM works fine in another similar rig, then get a new mainboard...