System will not see boot drive

scottrucciprocom

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
My system will not boot up. Bios sees the physical drive. Repair disc/command prompt shows the C drive as system reserve (tiny partition) and what should be the C drive shows up as the E drive. Regardless it can't repair. Furthermore it can't find my system restore points or image as they are on an external raid which the repair disc boot doesn't see. I plan to connect that drive to a usb external and transfer the restore and/or image files to the usb drive.

But it's odd that what should be the C drive shows up as E. So I'm wondering, even if I gain access to the system restore files, am I going to be able to restore the system with this going on? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Dell Studio XPS Win 7 pro 64

Solution
It should be possible if your restore files are fine, yes.

If youd like, you can change the partition letters from a CMD when booting from a windows install disk (at the first window during the windows install environment, press shift+F10 to get a cmd window).
all the following commands are to be typed without quotation marks:
type "diskpart" to use the diskpart utility.
type "list volume" to get a list of disks that are available.
type "select volume #" (replace # with the number of the volume, containing the partition which you'd like to change the letter for)
type "assign letter=C" (Replace C with whatever letter you'd like)

Mikael Hansen

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
It should be possible if your restore files are fine, yes.

If youd like, you can change the partition letters from a CMD when booting from a windows install disk (at the first window during the windows install environment, press shift+F10 to get a cmd window).
all the following commands are to be typed without quotation marks:
type "diskpart" to use the diskpart utility.
type "list volume" to get a list of disks that are available.
type "select volume #" (replace # with the number of the volume, containing the partition which you'd like to change the letter for)
type "assign letter=C" (Replace C with whatever letter you'd like)

Solution

scottrucciprocom

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Thank you very much Mikael, I'll try that.