System won't boot after installing 8gb of more RAM

Dastany

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Okay so I'm just going to put this out there. I have the basic knowledge when it comes to this. I was able to assemble my PC via the internet and from this website but there are still plenty of things I do not understand.

At the moment I have G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR installed and the PC works fine, but I wanted to upgrade to 16GB. When I went to install the same exact type (checked the model #) of RAM I couldn't boot my system. No matter what I did and followed my manual for my motherboard it wouldn't boot. I have a Asus Z97-AR motherboard in case that helps. Now I don't know if this matters but..the G.skill sniper series I ordered to upgrade does not look like my old G.Skill sniper series, even though they have the exact same model number. The design on my older RAM looks different and the heat spreader is different. Does this matter or is this just different design?

Please let me know what other information I need to include for assistance. I've been dealing with this problem for awhile and I don't want to have to buy more RAM.

PS: I also can't get the Memory to run at 1600. I don't know why. It says XMP profile ready but...I also don't really know how to set that up properly. I thought it would be automatic.

Dastany

Commendable
May 12, 2016
So I've tried every stick at first, one of the stick I originally had in the pc worked but only to the point of the motherboard logo it wouldn't boot up all the way. All the other sticks it doesn't boot up at all it turns on and then the system turns off

Dastany

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Okay, and I would like to throw out that while I was testing each stick I had the cpu cooler off would that cause the system to not boot? The cpu cooler I have blocks the Ram so I couldn't pull them out without taking it off. Also please explain a CMOS, is it safe? No cons by doing it?

I hope the system still works. the CPU might have been fried without the heat sink. clear CMOS, make sure the heat sink is on and pray. clearing CMOS resets the BIOS to default settings. the only cons of it are you have to reset any fan profiles, and overclocks.

Dastany

Commendable
May 12, 2016
I reset the CMOS and the pc is booting up normally now. Man I freaked out for a second, haha. So Im assuming the pc wasn't booting because the cpu was getting too hot and was not booting as a fail safe?

Does that mean I didn't accurately check each stick of RAM if the pc wasn't booting because of the CPU?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes, need a cooler on there and mixing DRAM isn't a good idea, but since you have them, try with a single set, go into BIOS, enable XMP, select profile 1, raise DRAM voltage + 0.06, save, exit, shutdown, add the other set and let us know what it does

should be fine, I guess it booted after the clear CMOS?