[SOLVED] System won't boot with 2 sticks of RAM [DRAM Debug Light on]

Feb 24, 2021
Hello all, I made my first PC build and managed to get it up and running. However, it only works with either 1 RAM stick in DIMM slot A2 or 2 sticks in DIMM A1 and A2. I tried running it in A2 and B2 but it won't boot, I've checked my CPU and it's not the CPU as there are no bent pins, I've tried clearing CMOS, and it didn't work. I could use more suggestions on what to try next as I currently don't have any extra RAM to work with or another PC to test it on, but I have noticed that the part number on my RAM is not on the QVL list of my motherboard.

Here is my list of specs:
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II (Motherboard)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (CPU)
Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 (GPU)
I bought 2 separate sticks of 8 GB DDR4 RAM, they run at the same speed which is if I remember right 3000MHz. The part number is PVS48G300C6 and it's Patriot Viper RAM.
I don't think it's needed but I have a 1 TB HDD and a 240 GB SSD
My PSU is a Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze.

Whenever I try to boot the PC with RAM in A2 and B2, the DRAM led lights up and stays on. However, it works when I boot with one stick (tried using both sticks as well and they work) and it works when I boot with A1 and A2 slots but my PC tells me it's unoptimized.

If anyone could give me any help with this, that'd be great as I really don't want to RMA the board, had a CPU problem beforehand and thought it was a motherboard problem when in fact it was a CPU problem, I'm hoping this is also just a RAM problem in which case I'd just save up for some new RAM. Thanks in advance to any answers anyone can give me.

Solution
Hello all, I made my first PC build and managed to get it up and running. However, it only works with either 1 RAM stick in DIMM slot A2 or 2 sticks in DIMM A1 and A2. I tried running it in A2 and B2 but it won't boot, I've checked my CPU and it's not the CPU as there are no bent pins, I've tried clearing CMOS, and it didn't work. I could use more suggestions on what to try next as I currently don't have any extra RAM to work with or another PC to test it on, but I have noticed that the part number on my RAM is not on the QVL list of my motherboard.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (CPU)
I bought 2 separate sticks of 8 GB DDR4 RAM, they run at the...

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (CPU)
I bought 2 separate sticks of 8 GB DDR4 RAM, they run at the same speed which is if I remember right 3000MHz. The part number is PVS48G300C6 and it's Patriot Viper RAM.
I don't think it's needed but I have a 1 TB HDD and a 240 GB SSD
My PSU is a Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze.

Whenever I try to boot the PC with RAM in A2 and B2, the DRAM led lights up and stays on. However, it works when I boot with one stick (tried using both sticks as well and they work) and it works when I boot with A1 and A2 slots but my PC tells me it's unoptimized.

If anyone could give me any help with this, that'd be great as I really don't want to RMA the board, had a CPU problem beforehand and thought it was a motherboard problem when in fact it was a CPU problem, I'm hoping this is also just a RAM problem in which case I'd just save up for some new RAM. Thanks in advance to any answers anyone can give me.
Incompatibility dual channle isn't recognizing the info sent through it...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS