[SOLVED] System won't boot with 2 sticks of RAM

dillomcmillo

Commendable
Jul 11, 2020
Hey all,

I just put together a system for a friend and I was only able to get it to boot with one stick of RAM. Every time I put in the second stick of RAM the EZ debug light keeps flashing between the CPU and DRAM lights (Motherboard is a MSI H310 PRO M2). I've tried turning on XMP and I still get the same results. Is there anything else that I can try that might fix the issue? Any help would be much appreciated!

Full spec list:
MSI H310 PRO M2
Intel I5-9600k
Zotac GTX1060 6GB
2Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD
500GB Western Digital SSD
2x8gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400mhz

Solution
I just tried clearing the CMOS and that didn't work either. Is it safe to assume at this point that that RAM slot is probably dead?
Have you tried putting the 8700 back in? If it does work with both memory dimms then the RAM slot is OK, and I'd try getting a RAM kit (2 matched sticks sold in the same package). As sizzling stated, the new CPU may be more sensitive to differences between the dimms.
My BIOS version is E7B28IMS.AA0
That's the first BIOS for you motherboard and will not work properly with your new CPU.

You need to download 7B28vA7.zip, or one that is dated later than this one

From here...

Inside that zip file will be a file named

E7B28IMS.A70

You need to flash your BIOS to this version.

Do you know how to flash your BIOS? Google it if you do not. There are 100s of videos on how to do a BIOS flash. Look specifically for flashing an MSI motherboard.

Alternatively, if you want to flash your BIOS from Windows, download your manual here

Motherboard Manual

and follow the instructions on page 18.

Last edited:
I just tried clearing the CMOS and that didn't work either. Is it safe to assume at this point that that RAM slot is probably dead?
Have you tried putting the 8700 back in? If it does work with both memory dimms then the RAM slot is OK, and I'd try getting a RAM kit (2 matched sticks sold in the same package). As sizzling stated, the new CPU may be more sensitive to differences between the dimms.

Last edited:
Solution