System won't boot without install USB plugged in

Nov 13, 2018
So I recently built a computer by myself for the first time (I usually have a friend with me), and of course I have some issues. The main one being I can't boot without the install USB plugged in (the USB I installed Windows 10 with). When I take it out the fans spin for around three seconds then stop so I re-plug in the USB and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't so I plug it into the different USB ports until it finally works and it only stops when I unplug it. The USB seemed to be important in the BIOS settings so I messed around with that but nothing changed. I was hoping someone here might know the answer, the specs for my computer are below, thank you.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 2200g
GPU: RX 560
RAM: 8gb ddr4 Patriot Viper 2133 MHz (dual channel)
Motherboard ASUS PRIME B450-1/CSM
PSU: Antec 520 Watts
(Ask me if you need more than that)

Nov 13, 2018

Yes, I did the hard drive currently does have windows installed to it.

Ralston18

Titan
Verify:

Windows 10 on the USB drive.

Windows 7 on the hard drive.

USB drive to a working USB port and the hard drive connected with both a working power cable and a working data cable.

In BIOS, which drive is selected as the boot drive?

You must select and save that setting plus ensure that the applicable driver is fully and firmly connected.

Have your friend doublecheck your build. Not at all uncommon to just do some step in the build and forget to point it out to you. Or you may have missed it. Or both....

Nov 13, 2018

A few things so I don't have Windows 7 on the hard drive it's Windows 10 and yes the hard drive is connected well and finally it doesn't let me change anything related to boot in bios it says nothing was changed so when I restart and go back into bios nothing has changed none of my options saved. Just as another thing the usb was to install Windows 10 onto a NEW hard drive there was never a mention of Windows 7.

Ralston18

Titan
Okay - no Windows 7 involved.

OS is Windows 10 installed via USB on C: drive which is not booting.

When you go into BIOS and make changes are you sure that you are saving and exiting correctly?

Have you tried a new CMOS battery? Can you get your friend to doublecheck your build?

Nov 13, 2018

Well when I push save and exit it says I changed nothing even though I have changed the boot drives (I removed the USB drive) and I think the battery is fine itś a new motherboard it also keeps any other changes I make the only changes it doesn't seem to change are settings related to boot. Iḿ going to try to get my friend to double check my build later next week.