[SOLVED] System won't boot

Nov 26, 2020
I reformatted my system and started fresh about a month ago and today everything shut down and won't restart back up. I shut down last night after playing some video games, there was no issue. Today when I started my computer I got the bluescreen that said "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors. File:\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe Error code: 0xc000000f"

I don't understand what could have happened from the time I logged off last night to when I turned the computer on today, but nevertheless I started to do a full format and reinstall. I inserted the USB stick that I used a month ago to start the Win 10 install, went to the list of hard drives, formatted the same one I had been using so that I could start fresh, and was hit with this error: "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." I have never seen this before and it's preventing me from being able to install Win10. Can someone please help a n00b here?

Here are screenshots in case it helps: View: https://imgur.com/a/H8HCron

I have:
Samsung EVO 970 SSD
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake
Windows 10 Home

Thanks In advance everyone!

Solution
Hi bmorepetey.

I would unplug all other drive except the OS drive first if you did not.

That Drive 0 is your Samsung SSD. Click on each partition of the drive 0 and click delete until you see it unallocated and just press next. This will wipe everything on that drive an will let the install convert the drive to GPT.

You can do it manually too.

Step 1. In Windows Setup, press "Shift + F10" to start Command Prompt.
Step 2. Enter the following command in order:

diskpart
list disk
select disk <disk number>
clean
convert gpt
exit

Step 3. Close Command Prompt.
Step 4. Continue the Windows installation.
Hi bmorepetey.

I would unplug all other drive except the OS drive first if you did not.

That Drive 0 is your Samsung SSD. Click on each partition of the drive 0 and click delete until you see it unallocated and just press next. This will wipe everything on that drive an will let the install convert the drive to GPT.

You can do it manually too.

Step 1. In Windows Setup, press "Shift + F10" to start Command Prompt.
Step 2. Enter the following command in order:

diskpart
list disk
select disk <disk number>
clean
convert gpt
exit

Step 3. Close Command Prompt.
Step 4. Continue the Windows installation.

Last edited:
Solution