System won't post tried breadboxing

Adiassy

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I have tried bread boxing and tested everything to the best of my ability. I returned the motherboard and processor and that made no difference. If I remove power to the 8 pin port on the motherboard the system will boot and give me the error telling me there is no processor installed. However when I connect power to the processor (doing this on an old cutting board on my counter-top) I get one dull click then nothing happens. All I have connected is the processor m2 and power. I have tried it with and without the ram and no changes. This is my first build so I am 95% sure I am doing something stupid here and I have walked through all of the steps on the sticky twice but I am dumbfounded.

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
MyDigitalSSD BPX 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card
be quiet! Dark Base 900 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x2

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tgk9pb

Adiassy

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

This is before installing the cooler. As you know this cooler is very bulky and quite heavy.

The board might not start if CPU cooler not connected to the board.
You can try connecting the CPU cooler to the CPU_Fan on the board, even if not installed, but... I won't recommend starting the board with CPU cooler not seated. The CPU temperature does raise quite fast.

Adiassy

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

Tried it with the CPU cooler connected to the CPU_Fan on the board, still not starting.

maz89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I would suggest you install the CPU cooler during troubleshooting.

Can you recheck that all PSU cables are securely connected from both ends? Try a different PSU cable for the external socket.

Is the monitor mode correctly set to HDMI/DP?

As a last resort, test with another power supply.