Question System won't POST ?

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Please keep it to 1 thread.
So i sold to a guy motherboard Asus TUF B660M D4,and while the board was in my pc it functioned perfectly,and on pc of that guy that bought motherboard from me it wont post somehow.He said he tried everything to make it post, resetting cmos and stuff,we got same ram,cpu was same also, mine was just f version,and on his z690 it boots perfectly

12400 is cpu of his, mine was f version of it.

Mar 29, 2024
So i sold to a guy motherboard Asus TUF B660M D4,and while the board was in my pc it functioned perfectly,and on pc of that guy that bought motherboard from me it wont post somehow.He said he tried everything to make it post, resetting cmos and stuff,we got same ram,cpu was same also, mine was just f version,and on his z690 it boots perfectly
check the bios version of the motherboard and suported cpu on that bios, maybe it needs an upgrade to change the cpu to another model, check ram compatibility ( not a thing in 2024 but must check) and check psu or gpu or other pcie devices or ssd's if has some failure on hdd or bad ssd (1st gen ) wont boot .. have a nice fixing day!

Mar 29, 2024
even a bad usb device can hold off the boot or front bad usb of the case ( safe boot kicks in from motherboard if something is whacky)

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
So i sold motherboard Asus Tuf b660M D4,it posted on my pc perfectly with i5 12400F,and the guy i sold it to,has a identical setup to mine,just non f version.He said he tried resetting cmos and everything it just wont post,by the way bios of motherboard was updated but still it posted on mine, why it won't on bios version is 2801

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Well the thing is that on his z690 motherboard everything boots perfectly with exact same config,i don't know what could be the problem,and now if he returns motherboard to me,i don't have cpu to test it with

Mar 29, 2024
Well the thing is that on his z690 motherboard everything boots perfectly with exact same config,i don't know what could be the problem,and now if he returns motherboard to me,i don't have cpu to test it with
what model of cpu did you use (test it) , your client cpu and motherboard model?

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Okay i got more info,he says it boots, goes into windows i misunderstood him,but it says when he goes inside windows picture freezes for idk what reason.He uses i5 12400,ive used 12400f, motherboard is Asus Tuf b660m ddr4

Mar 29, 2024
Okay i got more info,he says it boots, goes into windows i misunderstood him,but it says when he goes inside windows picture freezes for idk what reason.He uses i5 12400,ive used 12400f, motherboard is Asus Tuf b660m ddr4
it should turn off any oc of cpu, check gpu drivers and ram mem (lower the frequency), maybe it's high on bios and test it or reinstall the windows anyway is the same thing with 12400 f or normal, the freezes could indicate a cpu issue, maybe it shutdown because of temperature, it should check if cooling is doing it's job in bios or windows if can in windows.

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Mm i understand that, problem is though that it works perfectly on his z690,and on completely stock bios settings after cmos reset it manifests as that.He said he is gonna call tech repair shop and ask them about it, because maybe its a software problem of some kind

OK just because the components work on a Z690 motherboard does not mean that they will be stable on a completely different motherboard, referring to the B660M D4 board.

Suggestion on finding issue: disconnect any HDD/SSD's keeping Ram, CPU, Power supply but only using integrated graphics for display. Have Memtest86+ on a flash drive installed and boot the system into BIOS. Set BIOS settings and have the system boot into Memtest86+ from the flash drive. It has its own light weight UI and run memtest for stability testing.

If it still crashes then there is a compatibility issue somewhere.

You can also try booting into BIOS with out the USB drive plugged in but you will need to reboot into BIOS again to get memtest drive to be recognized.

it is possible his ram is not compatible with that motherboard. This will test for that.

Reactions: jonny0808
Mar 29, 2024
OK just because the components work on a Z690 motherboard does not mean that they will be stable on a completely different motherboard, referring to the B660M D4 board.

Suggestion on finding issue: disconnect any HDD/SSD's keeping Ram, CPU, Power supply but only using integrated graphics for display. Have Memtest86+ on a flash drive installed and boot the system into BIOS. Set BIOS settings and have the system boot into Memtest86+ from the flash drive. It has its own light weight UI and run memtest for stability testing.

If it still crashes then there is a compatibility issue somewhere.

You can also try booting into BIOS with out the USB drive plugged in but you will need to reboot into BIOS again to get memtest drive to be recognized.

it is possible his ram is not compatible with that motherboard. This will test for that.
maybe he dose not installed ram correctly in slots 1-3 and 2-4 maybe this is creating freezing or some kind of incompatibility.

Reactions: bgunner
Well in that pic he has the Ram in slots 2 and 4.

What I do notice is that he has a trouble light on in that picture. What light is lit? Was the Pic taken during the POST procedure? Or was it hung there?

Without me downloading the manual for that board I can not tell you If the Ram is slotted properly. This info is in the manual and can vary from board to board. Maybe you can remember how you had the ram slotted? Is it different?

If Ram is slotted properly have him run the test procedure I recommended.

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
One thing that bugs my mind is like if he lets say uses gen 3 ssd and that nvme thingy on top slot is gen 4 can it cause issues like that?But having no display at all like he allegedly says makes me believe that root of problem is much deeper,maybe pcie for gpu got messed up somehow?

One thing that bugs my mind is like if he lets say uses gen 3 ssd and that nvme thingy on top slot is gen 4 can it cause issues like that?But having no display at all like he allegedly says makes me believe that root of problem is much deeper,maybe pcie for gpu got messed up somehow?
All Gen 4 SSD's/GPU's are backwards compatible with Gen 3 PCIe. So no that will not cause an issue. They will just be run at the slower data rate.

It is odd that the BIOS after being reset does not recognize the CPU as having an integrated GPU. Is it possible that he to has a F series CPU but thinks it is a vanilla 12400?

Mar 29, 2024
it is a thing.. i have a 1st gen ssd and it did not boot when i tryed to slot in with my gen 3 ssd, i can do something like that or hdd can hang the process

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Well in that pic he has the Ram in slots 2 and 4.

What I do notice is that he has a trouble light on in that picture. What light is lit?

Without me downloading the manual for that board I can not tell you If the Ram is slotted properly. This info is in the manual and can vary from board to board. Maybe you can remember how you had the ram slotted? Is it different?

If Ram is slotted properly have him run the test procedure I recommended.
Ahh